My (So-Called) Normal Life

I just finished reading this true story today. I read it pretty quickly over the span of a few days...the last few days of Grandma's visit---in between baking cupcakes, rice crispy treats, vog madness, taco dinner with The Pommerenks, and a crazy Tiger Scout Meeting held in our garage. Most folks might not care to read about the story of a woman diagnosed with cancer. Seems sad right? Why bother? But, not long ago I read "My Sister's Keeper"---another cancer story. I cried my eyes out. I also thought it was an incredible book (don't get me started on the movie, however). I am a Glamour magazine reader and I remembered reading the column that Erin Zammett wrote about getting and living with CML cancer at 23. I had made a mental note to pick up the book (always thirsting for more). That was several years ago. Then, as luck would have it, I was in the library picking up books on weddings (slim pickings at the Mililani Library by the way) and I had to stop and take a glance at the "Friends of the Library" books for sale. There it was. Hard back, perfect condition, and just $2! It was mine. I reached into my purse to retrieve my wallet and as luck would NOT have it, my cash supply had been depleted (darn Starbucks!). I refuse to write a check for $2, so I walked out with only my wedding planning books. Since going to the library is pretty much a weekly occurrence these days, I hoped no one else wanted the cancer book and that when I returned the next week ($2 in hand), I could scoop it up. The book gods were on my side! When I returned the next week, there it was. This time I happily retrieved the $2 from my wallet and walked out with what proved to be a wonderful read. I did choke up. My eyes did well with tears. How could they not? I'm glad I read her story though. From her writing, I felt like we shared a way of thinking---cancer or not. I really liked her---and not in a "she's got cancer, you have to like her" kind of way. She is funny, honest, and maintained a sense of herself that most of us lose even when we aren't faced with cancer---things like having kids and getting married. So, if you think you can stomach all the blood talk and medical jargon, maybe you too can find this book on sale for cheap at your nearby library. It's definitely worth picking up. If you think you've had a bad day and you find yourself with a skewed perspective, this read will set the record straight for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shameless Plug...

Waimanalo Country Farms

March Goal: 30 Beaches, 30 Days