52 New: #5 Kayak and Hike Mokoli'i
When given the choice between water and land, I will always choose land. I am more confident on solid ground---crawling, hiking, walking, even biking. Even though I do know how to swim, and I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, I rarely choose to participate in water activities. Maybe it's having to wear a bathing suit. The water exception? When water is used as a conduit to get to a hike.
If you have been watching ALL of Netflix like we have during the pandemic, you may be familiar with a cute new movie called "Finding Ohana". Hawai'i stories aren't usually mainstream, so it was nice to have something to watch that would be familiar to us. I bring this movie up only because there is a scene in which the grandfather and granddaughter take a boat ride (in a fast, luxurious, motorized boat) to Mokoli'i (otherwise known as Chinaman's Hat) which is where my fifth "new" adventure took place this past weekend. And before the internet cancels me completely, I'm not trying to be culturally insensitive...despite the tone deaf name...the hat shaped island off the coast of O'ahu by Kualoa Ranch, really is called that, but I will refer to it as Mokoli'i for the duration of this blog post.
Fifteen minutes (and no capsizing) was all it took (and a lot of paddling/arm work on the part of Sarah's husband) to set foot on another island! It was a much cheaper and quicker way to travel! I was beginning to get island fever from being stuck on this rock for the better part of a year, so our Mokoli'i adventure was just what I needed! After "parking" the kayak and paddle board on the rocky beach, we headed up a short but steep trail that ends at the top of "the hat". We probably hiked for fifteen minutes. It was the shortest, most enjoyable hike I've done in awhile. I was of course excited to be in all new territory. The views of O'ahu were stunning, we had perfect weather and perfect water conditions. I felt so lucky.
I think this adventure is doable for novice hikers and clearly it works out for novice kayakers (since I made it there). I would caution anyone attempting to make the trek to double check the tides and surf conditions though. I'm sure every day isn't as pristine as what we experienced. The ease of the kayak ride and hike made me wonder why it's taken me so long to actually do this. We even saw two guys who walked/snorkeled their way in waist deep water to get to Mokoli'i. So, if you are kayak challenged or without a boat like I am, you can still find your way to this island off the coast and take in the spectacular Ko'olau views we did.
This adventure makes number five of my "52 new things" challenge. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone on this one. My anxiety over the kayak ride had my stomach in knots on the way there, but luckily my boat captain took great care of me! There was no "man overboard" or flipping of the kayak, of which I was very grateful. I'll be ready to be the next crew member on "Below Deck" any day now.
As it got later in the morning, the sun began to warm us up. It became the perfect time for a little swim in the water (I did not, but it was the perfect time). Mokoli'i has lots of fun to offer---swimming, hiking, views, a picnic. Hopefully we will get the chance to visit again soon. As we headed down from the summit, we spotted more and more people heading over in their kayaks from O'ahu. We had picked the perfect time, we were able to enjoy our mini tour without too many people around.
I am in a constant love affair with O'ahu. Seeing the beauty she has to offer from a new perspective was wonderful. Even though Mokoli'i isn't far, it was just far enough to see O'ahu through a new lens, and she is gorgeous.
Not only was this adventure the perfect kayak/hike combo, it was the perfect way to start our Saturday. It was the perfect double date. It was the perfect kick off to my birthday week. It was the perfect amount of discomfort so that I felt accomplished. It was the perfect outer island getaway. It was a perfect new adventure.
Kulia I Ka Nu'u:
The value of achievement and excellence.
Pursue personal excellence in all you do.
"Strive to reach the summit."
Comments
Post a Comment