52 New: #40 Innovative Electric Scooter Rider


new: 

adjective

already existing but seen, experienced, or acquired recently or now for the first time

"her new bike" or in my case "her new scooter"

A full term pregnancy...that's where I am in terms of my fifty-two new things---week forty!  My latest new thing?  Riding an electric scooter.  The "lazy scooter rider" is an incredibly perfect title for me.  This "new thing" got the boys out in the neighborhood and scooter riding with me at a local park.  Initially, I just wanted to rent electric scooters and go for a couple of joy rides.  There is even a company in town that with the swipe of your credit card allows you to take a spin or two---as long as you are eighteen.  Since I fit that description, I thought an afternoon weaving in and out of pedestrians and traffic in Honolulu sounded like a good way to spend a Sunday.  And then Isom had to take it a million steps extra.

He bought, not one, but TWO electric scooters.  Yep.  We are now the proud owners of twin scooters.  I guess we really did have a baby, I mean two, for week forty.  These babies are sleek, cute, fancy, and electric.  Not like my actual babies at all.  My latest baby/toy now serves as bonus transportation and entertainment rolled into one.  

I have never been much of a bike rider, scooter rider, skateboarder...nothing with wheels except roller skates (practically lived in those from age five to twelve) and cars and the period in college when I rode on and drove a moped (those were very young, fun, and exciting times).  

My scooter knowledge and experience is limited.  This is my first electric scooter and my inaugural ride took place right in front of our house.  I borrowed a helmet from Zach (which explains the mohawk) and I was off.  It was much easier and faster than I expected, but overall it was a fun test drive.  The electric scooter is the perfect middle aged activity.  It has just enough get up and go to be fun, mixed with an element of awkwardness making the electric scooter cooler than a traditional stand-up Segway but not as cool as skateboarding or whatever else with wheels that is cool. 

In true middle aged style, I looked super un-cool (in my fleece pajama bottoms) ramping up to hit my top speed of twelve miles per hour.  The eighteen year old son, however, pushed the e-scooter to its limits (almost twenty-five miles per hour) and zoomed past in a blur.  "Grandma" Larisa will not be doing that.  I'm good with my e-walker speed.  Some wind whipping through my hair and arriving a minute sooner than if I had walked will suffice.  

What started out as a "new thing" for me, ended up being an after work and school activity for the boys...they've been out every single day riding those scooters.  At least I know we made a good purchase.  I had fun riding the scooter on two separate occasions.  I don't feel the need to ride it everyday, I'm probably more of a once a month kind of rider.  I'm glad I tried it though.  Something new.  I worked on my two wheel driving skills.  I worked on my balance.  I worked on my helmet fashion sense.  I tried something quasi active that wasn't hiking or yoga.  I learned that you can break a sweat even while scootering---electro cardio?

Family time plus new thing equals winning combination.  I like getting the whole crew out and about on a "new thing" adventure.  While they might not be as excited as I am about each new thing, I hope it will encourage them to be brave and try new things (even when you are middle aged) whenever they can.  I want them to discover the joy of new experiences, new people, new places, new things to love.  


The Details:

Who: Big kids, folks sixteen and up is probably best for this activity (you need to be tall enough and have enough coordination to maneuver the scooter).  

What: Electric Scooter a.k.a Innovative Transportation

When: Anytime you feel the need, the need for speed.

Where: The park, your neighborhood, to commute to work...just not on the freeway or hiking trails.  😂  We stuck to sidewalks (received a few side eye stares), some grassy dirt hills at the park by our house, and the street that goes through our town house community.  

Why: Fun and entertainment.  Or to try something new!

How: Kick start until you hit three miles an hour and then you can hit the gas and glide...or scoot to your desired destination.

Brand: Segway-Ninebot

On Insta: @segwayninebotau




"All life is an experiment.  The more experiments you make the better." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...