March Goal: 30 Beaches, 30 Days

 


Third monthly challenge complete!  For March, my goal was to go to thirty different beaches for thirty days.  To recap, in January I hiked thirty different trails for thirty days, and in February I practiced different styles of Yoga for twenty-eight days.  Mountain.  Mat.  Marine.  The first three months of my year long journey of completing monthly goals has been achieved.  I feel good.  I have worked my heart with cardio,  worked my body with stretching, and worked my soul with the happiness that being outside, toes in the sand and salt water washing over me, can provide.



I realize that a thirty day beach goal is not feasible for everyone.  I am filled with gratitude that I live in a place where the beach is accessible, beautiful, and free.  Born, not raised, in Hawai’i, believe it or not, up until this thirty day challenge, I was not much of a beach person.  It seemed boring, hot, and out of my comfort zone.  Needless to say, going into this particular thirty day challenge was well…challenging.  I wasn’t sure if I would be able to find pleasure or learn anything from making myself go to the beach.



The first couple of beaches I went to were a little bit awkward for me.  I didn’t know what to do with myself.  As the days passed I slowly found more comfort in my time spent at the beach.  Thank goodness I had Zach with me for almost all of my beach outings.  His natural curiosity and youth helped spark numerous discussions on animal and plant life, and added an element of fun that just wouldn’t have been there were I left to my own devices.  He is inherently an explorer and adventurer who can occupy himself for hours with shells, rocks, sand, buckets, and a shovel.  



Zach wasn’t my only partner in beach crime.  Several friends and of course Isom were able to join me (and usually Zach) during my thirty days of beaching.  It was a little easier to convince people to join me for some Vitamin Sea than it was to convince people to join me for Hot Yoga or Intense Climbs on a Hike.  



My other trusty companion for the multitude of beaches this month…books.  I read eight books over the course of March.  It was a good month for the beach and a good month for reading.  Zach and I also created several rituals around our beach outings…stops at 7 Eleven were almost as important as deciding which beach we were hitting on a particular day.  And Matcha.  I recently switched from coffee to Matcha Lattes so I have indulged in trying several different local coffee shops versions of the “healthier caffeine”.  




The Beaches:

Beach Name: Town Located in: Directional Area of O’ahu

1. Ala Moana Beach Park: Honolulu: South Shore 

2. Wai’alae Beach Park: Kahala: Southeast

3. Kaena Point (Northshore): Waialua: North

4. Bellows: Waimanalo: Eastside

5. Cockroach Cove: Hawaii Kai: Southeast

6. Lanikai: Lanikai: Windward 

7. Waialua: Waialua: Northshore

8. Nimitz Beach: Kapolei: Southwest

9. White Plains: Kapolei: Southwest

10. Kaluanui Beach: Hauula: Northeast

11. Pounders: Laie: North

12. Makaha: Makaha: Westside

13. Pu’uloa Beach Park: Ewa: Ewa

14. Ali’i Beach Park: Haleiwa: Northshore

15. Kaneohe Sandbar (via pontoon boat): Kaneohe: Windward

16. Sans Souci: Honolulu: Southshore

17. Mokuleia: Waialua: Northshore

18: Puaena Point: Haleiwa: Northshore

19. Kailua: Kailua: Windward

20. Kalama: Kailua: Windward

21. Kawela Bay: Kahuku: North

22. Electric Beach: Kapolei: West

23. Malaekahana: Kahuku: North

24. Kalanianaole Beach: Nanakuli: Westside

25. Yokohama Bay: Waianae: Westside

26. Sandy’s: Hawaii Kai: Eastside

27. Kuhio Beach: Waikiki: Southshore

28. Waimanalo: Waimanalo: Windward

29: Makapu’u: Waimanalo: Southeast

30: Keiki’s: Haleiwa: Northshore



The Rankings:

Clearly out of thirty beaches, there are bound to be some favorites and some less than favorites.  Each beach had its own set of pros and cons.  Overall, I found myself comparing that beach life to that yoga life to that pizza life…(if you happened to have read last months blog…there was a comparison of Yoga and Pizza)…there was no “bad beach” (ahem, well, maybe one).  I mean there was, but even the “bad” beach(es) were good if that makes sense.  At the least, we were outside in Hawai’i.  Meaning, some beaches weren’t as pretty or as fun as others, but it was still the BEACH!  So like pizza, even the bad beaches were good.  That being said, there were some stand outs.  Below are the winners for various reasons…

1. Kaneohe Sandbar takes the number one spot.  I was on a boat with my friends in the middle of the week with no kids.  We had music, a boat captain (thanks Mike), an oversized float, a standup paddle board (thanks Jen), homemade Cheesecake (thanks Zach), views (thanks nature), turtles, laughs, the smoothest white sand, no waves, sunshine!

2. Waimanalo Beach Park takes the number two slot.  We visited this beach towards the end of our thirty day journey and I had really gotten into the groove of “how to successfully go to the beach”.  We got to this beach early in the morning and had it to ourselves for most of the time we spent there.  My friend Jen made the trek out and we played in the waves and on my Pineapple Float in the rain.  The color of the water and the silky sand at this beach can not compare.  Truly paradise.

3. Kaluanui Beach slides into the number three position because it was a “new to me” beach.  We literally pulled over on the side of the road when we saw something pretty in Hauula.  We also had this beach completely to ourselves, which I guess is a perk to beaching in the middle of the week.  Zach and I enjoyed a picnic of 7 Eleven goodies (peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips, and ice tea).  And you might be starting to notice a trend…the sand at this beach…silky, smooth, white, and no rocks.  It was like walking into a dream.  

4. Waialua Beach is coming in as my number four pick.  This beach gives a friendly neighborhood vibe, is easily accessible from where we live in Mililani, and makes me feel like I’m on permanent vacation.  The water here is refreshing and even though the sand here is not my preferred silky white smooth sand (it’s actually more brown and course), I still had to include this magical beach in the top five.  We stayed at this beach for a long time, soaking in the sun, frolicking in the water, reading my book, and yep…eating some kind of snack from 7 Eleven.  

5. Kailua Beach rounds out my top five.  The views of the Na Mokulua (the Mokes) coastal islands create a happiness that those who live here know—it’s comfort.  Yes to the sand here (it’s great for creating Alligator masterpieces, castles, turtles) and for walking into the water easily.  I just love a beach without rocks poking my feet!  The water here rivals that unique blue found in Waimanalo.  This beach is also great for long walks.  Here you are likely to run into a long lost friend, see Kite surfers, dogs, families, and  tourists, but somehow the eclectic mix makes for a great Saturday or Sunday beach day.  It’s a classic for a reason.



You’ve read over my nominations that make the cut for the best of the beaches…now here are my selections for least best beaches…

1. Ala Moana makes the least best beach list because it is basic.  The water isn’t particularly pretty in color.  The rocks are highly irritating.  The sand seems dirty if that’s a thing.  It is in need of a beach cleanup, facelift, and rebranding.  There just was no star quality to this beach.  It’s fine.  It’s just not awesome.  Since this beach is in town and literally across the street from a monstrosity of a mall, it doesn’t give overly beach vibes.  You feel like you are in the city.  And if this is the only beach you can get to, it’s okay.  It just pales in comparison…

2. Ko Olina is the Westside equivalent to Ala Moana in that the water and the sand don’t seem exceptional.  Ko Olina is a great spot for viewing the sunset, grabbing yummy pie and cocktails at Monkeypod, but it just isn’t my favorite for actually enjoying the beach.  There are several hotels, resorts, and time shares there and for me it’s a case of too much happening in one spot.

3. Puaena Point is at the bottom of my list.  My apologies if this is a favorite spot of yours.  I had a hard time getting past the overly fishy and rotten garbage smell.  Call me a beach diva.  All beaches are not created equal.  Despite its location on the Northshore of O’ahu, this is a place that should be ashamed to call itself a beach.  The sand, two thumbs down.  The water, um, somebody call Sierra Club.  The other beach goers, fresh off the bus from NO MANNERS and No Beach Etiquette-ville.  All the people that annoy you at restaurants, the grocery store, in traffic——that’s who was at this beach.  Like attracts like.  Bad beach, bad beach patrons.    



Honorable Mentions: (Out of the beaches I went to during this thirty day challenge…I know there are tons of other amazing beaches on O’ahu)

The beaches in this section only got edged out because I had to pick a top five.  These beaches are all beautiful and fun and not smelly.

1. Makaha.  If I were a surfer I would marry you.  And don’t get me started on your sunsets.  You are magical and awe inspiring and if you weren’t so far from Mililani, I would visit you more often.

2. Mokuleia. Wildlife sees something in you.  Here the monk seals come to rest and nap on your shores.  Whales jump and play and blow spouts in your waters.  And here, turtles surf just like humans do.  I adore you.

3. Kalama.  You are Kailua and Lanikai’s lesser known friend.  The “B” Side.  You are neighbors.  You are the quiet understated girl at the party.  Fun happens here too!  Your waves are worth playing in.  Your sand is worth building in.  You just need to work on your parking game.  

4. Malaekahana.  You make up the memories of my kids childhood.  We camp here.  We walk on your consistent shores.  We catch crabs here.  We sunbathe and finish romance novels here.  We laugh and climb trees and swing here.  You are always in my heart and a tried and true favorite.  I can’t quit you! 



I’m really happy I did this thirty day challenge.  I’m not a mermaid (yet), but I definitely uncovered some love for the beach over the course of this month.  I found something to love and appreciate at each beach.  I found that salt and sand and sea and spray are all components in a recipe for smiling and soothing and simple satisfaction.  If you have access to the sea (or a lake or a river or a creek or even a pool), take advantage of it!  You may be surprised at what you discover, what many already knew all this time (I’m always late to the party).  This beach challenge was the perfect thirty day journey before diving into next months.  Throughout this month I found stolen moments on the sand and in the water where I just observed, where I just took it all in.  No distractions.  Hopefully that helped set me up for what’s to come in April… 





                                “Seas the day.” ~Unknown 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...