"Milk"

Real lives. Real problems. Real issues. After watching "Milk" I realized again how good my life is. I don't struggle day to day with bigotry. I don't have to worry about being arrested for who I am. I don't have to hide who I am. In fact I go out of my way to share with everyone all the little details of my life. I must admit that I didn't really know too much about Harvey Milk, the man that the movie "Milk" is based on. We recently got a Blue Ray player since our DVD/VCR combo stopped working. Since we are new to this technology, we only have one Blue Ray movie. We were in borrowing mode yesterday (went to the library not one but two times), and stopped in at Blockbuster to pick up the Blue Ray version of "Milk" to rent. I was dying to rent a Blue Ray and was also curious about a movie that until the Oscars, had heard nothing about. We all know Sean Penn is a genius, so of course I wasn't surprised that he pulled off such a different role in this film. I enjoyed this movie. It was interesting from a political, social, and historical perspective and I don't think many films successfully pull that off anymore. It was amusing too---well, watching my husband squirm uncomfortably during several racy scenes was amusing. I would suggest renting this movie---in any format. It was a movie that you think about after the fact. It was sad and frustrating but I'm so glad to have seen it. Even though this is not a "new" movie, it still warrants discussion. It was the winner of two Academy Awards, it introduces a new generation to gay-rights activist Harvey Milk, and showcases James Franco ("Pineapple Express") and Emile Hirsch ("Into the Wild") in impressive supporting roles. If you haven't already--rent it! My name is Larisa Majors and I am here to recruit you: http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/milk/

Comments

Mai said…
Glad you liked it. It's on my netflix queue. Looking forward to when it reaches the top. Maybe I'll give it a bump.

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail