John Hughes Fest

Too bad I waited for John Hughes to pass away in order to have a marathon of watching his movies. His movies are like your old, favorite pair of jeans...first you think "I know what they're like." You think you can go a day without wearing them but in reality, you can't. Well, I feel this way about good ole JH. I mean, with such films as "The Breakfast Club", "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty in Pink", and "Some Kind of Wonderful" to his credit, it's no wonder I'm a fan. I'm sure you've caught on to how much I love a good teen angst story---young romance, geeky awkwardness, high school drama---they are all the perfect recipe for one of my favorite movie genres. Since you can't plan death and I hadn't thought of a movie-a-thon before now, I wasn't able to give much notice to my friends regarding the event. So, on the night of, it was me and Mai Ly (well, Isom, Rob and the kids were there too, but...). The first John Hughes movie we played was a classic-"Vacation". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon's_Vacation And since I often refer to my family as the Griswolds, this was perfect. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile. Chevy Chase plus John Candy equals the perfect comedy movie. Re-watching "Vacation" for the millionth time brought back memories from when I was a kid and from when I first started college (these are not one in the same). When I was younger, I remember watching "Vacation" on our little t.v. on the bar. We would sit in our dining room in the old Atlanta townhouse, munch on BBQ potato chips, and watch t.v. My Uncle Joel and I would crack up over all of the foolish antics of Chevy Chase. Those laughs were so ingrained that when I got to college and only had one movie to my name, the movie was "Vacation". I bought it at the used bookstore down the street from my off campus dorm and would watch and re-watch it (laughing every time) on Friday nights if I had nothing to do. Watching it now, I found new humor moments to appreciate---now that I am married to Clark Griswold (but I sure do love him) and I have a child of my own. After a brief break for dessert we continued the movie-a-thon with another Hughes comedy, "Uncle Buck".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098554/fullcreditsIf only we didn't have things to do in the morning, munchkins to take care of, and oh yeah, a HURRICANE coming, then we probably would have continued on with the movies. I saw on Facebook that Mai Ly is interested in our film fest being continued...you're on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail