Saturday Adventures

On Saturday we had a full day of adventures, as we were excited to spend time with Isom since he was away for a week for work in Arizona. Gabe and I started the morning at the Mililani Library for his October Tiger Scout Field Trip---planned by...me. The children's librarian did his best to introduce the scouts to "proper library procedure" but I had to laugh as he explained (over loud, incessant jabbering from the six year olds) that the library is a "quiet place". At least we were there early enough as to not disturb too many library goers. He read the boys a Curious George book about camping (perfect) and then turned the boys loose in the library to browse. Silly librarian. After several "shhhhh's", "stop running's", and "get over here's" we left the library and headed to the airport. For once Isom's flight and my airport arrival timing were in sync...pretty much as soon as we pulled up, we got the call---"I'm at baggage claim." Isom was game to start the day, so we drove to Kapolei for a bite to eat at Aloha Salads (hummus pita wrap for me...a yummy first). From there we made our way to the hot, dry, dusty Ewa plain. Destination: Aloun Farms Pumpkin Patch---yes, we do have pumpkins in Hawaii. I was a little disappointed that we had to pay $3 to park (I'd heard it was a $1 to get in) but I became even more cranky when I realized I'd worn cute shoes to trek through dirt and dust. Gabe chose our pumpkin---an $8 beast...I sure hope the carving turns out nice--something to make the $11 we spent seem more worthwhile. We contemplated staying for hay rides but it was just too hot and I was just too cranky.After a brief pit stop at home (unpacking by Isom, lounging and reading by me) we made our way to Saturday's final adventure--- "Where the Wild Things Are" . I was excited to see what director Spike Jonze did with the classic Maurice Sendak book. Remember the phrase when you were growing up "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? Well, I think I'm going to be mute with my opinion of the movie...I know plenty of folks will love it and their kids will too...just not me, not this kid at heart. In defense of the movie though---our movie watching atmosphere was NOT at all optimum---cynical, barefoot teenagers behind us (we can't always like those who are JUST LIKE ourselves); screaming baby to our far lower left; wild rumpus dancing toddlers directly in front; and for the finale---a little girl who seemed to think she was at an amusement park---for the entire movie. Maybe I'll think differently when I am at home watching it in my sweats, eating a fresh baked cupcake, and able to press pause to update my Facebook Status. Until that time comes, I'd prefer to think of one of my beloved childhood books...as a book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...