Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

Me and substitutions don't mix. Today was a long day of being both beachside and poolside. In the morning we enjoyed Kaimana's with the Pommerenks, "Mandy Sue" (not to be confused with Aunt Sue), and the brightest patch of sun this Mililani resident has seen in awhile. While at the beach we received a quite unexpected phone call from Isom's aunt who was here visiting, but who was also scheduled to be on a flight to Fiji...today. I know she is quite taken with both myself and Gabe but calling from Fiji? No, wait, her plane was delayed...by more than twelve hours. So, after the beach, we paid Aunt Sue a visit at the airport Best Western. A place feet from the freeway that has the nerve to have "The Plaza Hotel" on its sign. Give me a break. We had already consumed multiple beach snacks, so instead of going to eat some more, we sat poolside...which was freewayside. How convenient---we were already in our swim wear and we could pop on the freeway to head home in seconds. After we said our second good-bye to Aunt Sue, we headed home for some aloe on the face, a change of clothes, and some much needed kitchen time. Before I could do today's baking, I realized I needed eggs. A quick trip to Costco (cheapest eggs on the island) and the baking could commence. Halfway into the recipe I realized I didn't have enough butter. Feeling lazy, I decided to use vegetable oil instead. And the result of this poor decision is a house that smells burnt, eyes that are burning, and no good treat to consume. Next time, no matter how tired I am, I'll just go to the store.Lesson learned: don't make baking decisions with beach brain. Tired choices lead to crap baked goods. And an oven caked with brown sugar and vegetable oil.
Addendum! Addendum! With the smoke that billowed out of the oven when I opened it to take out the treats below, I thought for sure my little pineapple cakes were...toast. To my taste buds delight, they were just fine. More than fine. Edible, tasty, sugary, gooey...
Second lesson learned: where there's smoke, there is not always fire...there just might be delicious pineapple cupcakes instead.

Comments

Isom said…
They look really good, maybe you can call them pineapple lava cakes. It could be a whole theatrical thing. Oh no, did a volcano erupt? Is the house on fire? Nope, desert's ready. Very exciting.

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...