Gordon Biersch

...home of the whispering waiter. Tonight we had an amusing server. At least I think he was funny. I only had one beer (Schwarzbier: "black beer"), so my judgement wasn't clouded. When we first sat down he came up and pointed to me, Isom, and Gabe and said "Margarita, margarita, milk." To which I responded "Close. Beer, beer, milk." We were off to a good start. A waiter with personality. He took our orders with lightning speed, put our orders in just as fast, and our food arrived in a blink. Apparently 5:30 on a Friday is the time to go. We were seated by the water (even harbor water is nice to view at sunset) and we could hear the live house band playing covers of The Police and John Mayer. It was a great setting...for a date...but we had Gabe with us. After a few sips of our beeritas, I decided that I was lucky to be out with not one, but two fun guys. We enjoyed seared ahi for our appetizer, garnished with a fresh salad. Mmm. Isom had fish n' chips (he was reconnecting with his English roots...and loves malt vinegar). Gabe kept it simple with cheeseburger and fries. I went bold with the lobster/shrimp tacos---an accidentally terrific pairing with my beer. As our bites slowed, our bellies grew, and our plates cleared, the waiter came around and whispered in my ear! "Double Chocolate Fudge Cake". Was he reading my mind? I was in mid lobster chew and didn't know what to make of this new selling technique. I was confused and intrigued. How did he know I adore dessert?Gabe said "What's he doing? Does he want you to be his girlfriend?". On the next "check in", he whispered to me (and Isom) something about a cheesecake. His face was millimeters from my ear. I'm not even exaggerating. This post isn't doing it justice, but believe me, the whispering dessert waiter was funny. If I wasn't so full, I would have gotten a dessert---it was such a unique approach! I'm sure we aren't the only customers he literally sweet talks but I think we/I appreciated the hilarity of it the most. Before he brought the bill he attempted one more faux subliminal tactic...this time offering up tequila shots. This was funny and crazy...did he not remember/see our six year old sitting with us? No thanks buddy, we'll pass on the DUI tonight. Anyway, we will still be back again soon...we filled out a "rewards" card for one. For two, the food was better than I remember (maybe in college I was only drinking here). For three, gotta see the whispering waiter again. And finally, after the lobster/shrimp tacos, I'm curious about the lobster/shrimp MacnCheese...the waiter whispered this recommendation as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...