Straub 10K

We did it! Last year I walked my first 10K. It was the Straub 10K. This year, I decided to sign up again. I'm so glad I did. It is a scenic walk. You are surrounded by women. It is 6.2 miles. It is early in the morning. These might all sound like deterrents, but I will happily sign up for this race again next year. My experience during the race was rather uneventful. The experience leading up to the race however, a different story. I'm enjoying a teeny tiny weekend right now. Yes, on Monday at 8:15 in the morning. Why? I did not have one moment of free time over the past two days. Not a complaint (from me anyway...maybe from Isom). If every weekend were like this one, we might run into a few snags. Saturday morning kick started the events---Laura and Dan's wedding at Mid Pacific Country club in Lanikai. Simple, sweet elegance. The bride was stunning...as were the views of the ocean and mountains from the lanai where the ceremony was held. Congratulations (0n your marriage and picking a great location). Like rats, we scurried to the next event---Sean's first birthday. Squeezing into the worlds smallest parking space, we arrived just in time to sing "Happy Birthday" and sink our teeth into delicious cupcakes. The boys enjoyed some beach time and discovered a "peeing" sea cucumber while I debated on having a second cupcake (carbs for the 10K!). After drying off and helping to clean up we headed to Kahala Mall where I drank my carb (Kona Longboard) in preparation for the race. This was a pit stop before heading to the final event of the day---Amanda's housewarming party. Farewell to the boys and hello to the girls. One more liquid carb before we arrived at Amanda's for pupus, plants, and more liquid carbs (we were all instructed to bring a plant in exchange for alcohol...creative...my plant was coffee from Starbucks). A little guacamole and a little sangria and we found ourselves staying longer than intended. Off to bed for a short nights sleep. 5 a.m. came much sooner than I'd hoped. I had a fitful night of sleep but pulled myself together for the walk. A free t-shirt and a rose will get me out of bed at an ungodly hour (are you taking notes?). Due to the earlier described hectic day, I forgot to pick up my race packet. Groan. I pictured the worst---long line of over estrogened, tired women scrambling for their race numbers. I was already stressed about my legal/illegal parking spot. Anything else on little to no sleep might just push me over the edge. Luckily my fears did not come true. Number in hand, hair pulled back, shoes laced up...let's do this! An hour and forty four minutes later...I CROSSED THE FINISH LINE, grabbed my free rose, drank some water, posed for a few pictures, and headed back to the car (I was on a tight schedule again...5th birthday party in Kailua to attend). (Yes, you will note here, I FORGOT FREE MY T-SHIRT!!). As we got closer to the car I noticed a yellow paper on my windshield. A ticket?! I was already in defensive mode, pulling out my iPhone, ready to snap a picture for my day in court. How dare they? I was walking for a good cause...early in the morning! Sigh of relief. It was just a flyer (a yellow flyer that looked like a TICKET) for high blood pressure. How cleverly amusing. This was my weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...