Berry Tarts

Before and after. Good thing I had some of my homemade whip cream to put on top of these cute little mini pies. This was what came of the aborted pie mission. I only have one pie/quiche pan so...cupcake pan to the rescue! With a beer glass, I cut the pre-made dough (I had no idea there were two per box) into tiny pre-made crusts, and placed them in the muffin pan. This recipe was not in a book. Kimi must be my current baking muse. While the quiche we baked together was in the oven, I got to combining canned cherries (it was all I had), the triple berry frozen medley from Costco, sugar, and cornstarch. I cooked them in a small pot on medium heat until it looked right. Irritating huh? I used to hate these types of cooking instructions. "Looked right.". "Smelled done." "Dab of this." Infuriating. Not specific enough. But it is. I get it now. The more time spent in the kitchen, the more you realize your senses are there to tell you when to take things off the burner...not a timer. Ding, ding, ding. Revelation. So, after a few stirs and the sweet aroma of berries and sugar wafted up to my nose, I decided it was time to pour them into the mini pie molds. The quiche came out of the oven and the berry tarts went in. A half an hour later, out came our delicious dessert to go with our delicious quiche. I just made a whole meal---from scratch (OK, not the pie crust), in about an hour, and it tasted good! Wow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail