Cake Creations

Despite two busted frosting bags, sticky fingers, and sharing the room with NON-BEGINNERS--my first cake decorating class was a blast. It was nice having someone there I knew, (Mai Ly) and nice having a sarcastic/witty instructor. And of course taking home the cake creation. I was proud that I did a fairly decent job of not having a "crumby" cake...that is, letting the chocolate show through the frosting. I did have the aid of the instructor in getting my cake in shape (it first appeared as a big white mound). I learned the names (of which I can't spell and forget now) of several cake decorating tools, the recipe to the perfect butter cream frosting, that there is such a thing as butter extract, that when people say "beginners" in reference to cake decorating---they really mean "professional", that I can't think creatively on the spot, that a warm, wet knife does wonders for smoothing out frosting, that I don't like the number 16 tip, and finally, that Cake Creations bakes the most delicious chocolate cake! Above is the cake my neighbor Lisa created. A star of stars. She was a riot and fun to work with. She is super creative when it comes to parties and painting...I hope to see more of her fun creations as the class progresses. This blue honu belongs to Mai Ly. Of course she picked up cake decorating in a flash. She has creative hands! This cute cake was by another student in the class...I especially enjoyed it since I just finished reading The Hunger Games (there are lots of bird references). I can't believe I get to take home a finished product each week. Next week promises to be right up my alley---cupcakes! Although, I really hope we can take home more than one cupcake...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail