The Descendants

Thanks to Michelle, book club (although I can't remember what we decided to call ourselves...a side effect of good red wine) is underway again. Just in time for fall. At our recent re-gathering over sweets, pupus, and wine, we decided on our first book we will read together---The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings. A local, female author. A book about Hawaii (even if it is fiction). I had heard good things about this book from several other people and it was already on my "to read" list. I'm so glad we started book club off again with a good read. It was a page turner. I finished it over the span of a couple of days. I keep thinking about the characters and what I might do if I found myself in their shoes---always a sign of a good book. I found the writers sarcasm, wit, and especially the portrayal of the dad (and main character) to be very well done. I'm always impressed when female writers capture the male train of thought (and vice versa). There were a few small things that I found irritating of course...it wouldn't be me liking a book without that, but they didn't overshadow my general enjoyment of the book. I don't know why I was honing in on some of the smaller details, but when the author referred to a lanai as a porch, I almost threw the book down. I'm pretty sure a porch can only be found in the south...as in The South (the continental United States...not "southern Oahu"). Everyone here has a lanai...right?! I wasn't thrilled about the use of the name Sid for one of the characters either. Super weird and minor thing to concern myself about, but it just didn't fit. I don't know any "Sids" in Hawaii...especially a Sid sitting on a porch. Anyway, minor, minor points. I am interested in reading the short stories Hemmings has written. I felt her writing was very well suited to it. I think most who pick up this story of family, hope, and "small kine" Hawaiian history will find some way to relate---either in humor, human nature, or circumstance. When I was reading the book it reminded me of another great read---"My Sister's Keeper". However, when they made that book into a movie, (Cameron Diaz as a mom, come on!) I felt it was the worst adaptation in awhile. Let's hope the same doesn't ring true for this novel...although, I'm already having a hard time envisioning George Clooney as Hawaiian...but I can see him on a porch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail