Soul Cafe

If you haven't caught on yet, I love food. Thus, always talking, picturing, tasting, eating, watching, enjoying it. For me, food is like a photograph. But better. Photos can bring up memories and recollections of fond days past---marriage (Happy 55th Anniversary Tutu), birth of a child, a concert, milestone birthday. Food can trigger this for me just as well, if not better than photos. Instead of a fleeting thought, by eating a meal (that is tasty), I remember whole periods of my childhood, replay conversations with friends, feel transported back in time. I had no idea I would be time traveling yesterday. Lehua and I were supposed to be going for a walk, hanging out a little, and then I would head home to get Gabe and mentally prepare (drinking cups and cups of tea and coffee) for another five hours of working in the Fitting Rooms. We did walk. And we enjoyed a rare thing called sunshine (it's been raining like the Pacific Northwest here lately). Then we were hungry. She suggested Soul Cafe. The menu consisted of things like Chicken and Waffles, Cheese Grits with Shrimp, Jambalaya, Po Boy Sandwiches, Sweet Potato Pie. Since I couldn't order everything (believe me I wanted to), I chose the fried catfish sandwich (Catfish Po Boy), skipped on a side dish, and went straight to dessert---sweet potato pie. The fish was cooked to perfection. It was a tremendous portion (which made for a great snack later in the afternoon). And while I munched on fish that seemed straight out of my Georgia grandpa's kitchen in Savannah, I was entertained with classic Soul Train---The Commodores. I'm not sure Lehua knew just how happy I was with this nostalgic food trip, but I'm already packing my bags for the next one...easy like Sunday morning.

Comments

FootPrints said…
gosh that fish looks so TASTY!!! your blog always makes me HUNGRY!!
Larisa said…
And me too... :-)

Next time I don't even need the bread, just the FISH!!

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...