Black Swan

I'm feeling very cultured. CATS on Sunday. Black Swan today. This is a movie to be seen in the movie theater. Not at home where you can press pause and get up and take breaks. It's best to see this without interruption in a big, dark theater. I have heard descriptions from friends regarding this movie---intense, mind blowing, graphic---all are true. Natalie Portman plays the tormented ballerina. Barbara Hershey the psychotic mother. Winona Ryder the uber depressed ex-prima ballerina. The genre for this film would be psychological thriller or I'm so depressed I could die. It will win awards. And scarily, it will convince a whole new generation of girls to become ballet dancers. The movie is a story within a story---similar to the dream within a dream thing Inception had going on. The pace of the movie demanded your attention. The life of a New York ballerina had me captivated. Natalie Portman's transformation from Queen Amidala from Star Wars (how I last saw her) to the Black Swan was what made this movie a true work of art. I can't say that I was completely shocked by anything this movie had to offer. The lead characters physical transformation, the supporting actress dynamic trio of Hershey, Ryder, and Mila Kunis, coupled with precise ballet moves, music, and costuming, made this movie one I'd like to see again...in the theater of course...with someone else to compare notes with. Black Swan leaves the viewer contemplating, interpreting, and worried for the reality of this movie. I have a feeling folks will be talking about this movie, and Natalie Portman in it, for quite some time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for your review. :) I want to go see it!!
Larisa said…
Go! (just don't take your little ballerina)
I think I might go see it again...I think I want to focus on different things the second time around.

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...