El Charro

Almost as funny as the comedy show last night, was our dinner before hand. We had been hearing about a new quaint little Mexican restaurant in Aiea from several people. Instead of a fancy pre-concert eating venue, we headed to the Mexican dive in Aiea. I use the term dive lovingly. It was actually just perfect. I felt welcomed the moment we stepped foot in the door and walked past the ten year old kid dressed in his sombrero and other performance gear, singing at the top of his lungs---Guadalajara. It was as if I had stepped back in time and was in T.J. I have fond memories of Mexico---both from summer visits across the San Diego border with my grandparents and from the summer I lived in Mexico City. So, even though I have permanently landed in the furthest (culturally) place from Mexico, it still has a special place in my heart...which we all know equals food. Our service was great. Our bill was reasonable. The entertainment was awesome. Only in Hawaii can an Asian kid sing La Bamba like he's a contestant straight off American Idol, while you eat fish tacos and cheese enchiladas. El Charro is still very new---so BYOB, but the food was delicious, it is centrally located, and once again, I have found a restaurant that I really wish was in walking distance of my house. Maybe a move to Aiea is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...