Kalapawai Market

The bad thing about living in Hawaii is that friends frequently move away. It's expensive here. I get it. There are fewer opportunities for certain professions here. And you can't hop in your car and drive somewhere completely different (driving from town to Waianae does not count as "different"). The good thing about friends moving away from Hawaii...they always come back...at least for a visit. Today, I started my birthday week (that's right, it's that time again) off right...with a day off and a great lunch at Kalapawai in Kailua with a friend I hadn't seen for a couple of years. I had the exciting privilege of telling her about "Peanut". I also had the exciting privilege of eating the best (and only) risotto cake I've ever had. A cake in the crab cake sense. It wasn't risotto with icing (my cravings haven't turned gross...yet). It was a very filling dish, but of course I ordered a veggie sandwich to go with it anyway. The sandwich was alright, but the risotto cake really left an impression. I'm not sure how they pulled it off, cooked up risotto and deep fried a big ball of it? Magic? Either way, it was very good. This could be a new way to eat all things yummy...big ball of friedness...chocolate, pizza, ice cream. Fried coffee ball? Thoughts?

Comments

Anonymous said…
AH! That looks great. How are you feeling!?
Larisa said…
It was! Each day is getting a bit better, thanks for asking!

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail