The Help

I don't know how a man can write books (well) from a woman's perspective. And I don't know how, a white woman can write (very well) the story of black maids in Jackson Mississippi in the 1960s. Kathryn Stockett has unleashed phenomenal characters, written a phenomenal story, published a phenomenal book. The last story of the South I read with this much ooomph was The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy. It's still a book that sticks with me as I know The Help will as well. The movie will be out before I know it, and I do look forward to that, but really I just want to spread the word on what everyone, especially women, if they are literate and have a week to devote to reading, should read. The characters come alive in a way that make you believe you are reading a true story. The characters are not real, but their emotions, relationships, fears---completely real. Living in Hawaii all these years, I haven't given thought to black/white race relations in quite some time. Yes, we have made history by electing to office an African American president. Yes, our country has come a long way from the times of the Civil Rights movement. While reading The Help, I was taken back to a place and time where the simplicities of life in Southern America were based solely on the color of your skin. I was on an anthropological and sociological journey over the past couple of weeks. I took my time to read it, let it sink in. Soaked up the nostalgia and characters from a place not so unlike where I grew up. Definitely not unlike where my dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents grew up. Reading The Help felt like I was spying on the journal of one of my relatives. I can't do this book justice in a brief blog post, but had to make mention of the book that has most recently captivated me. I truly hope you'll pick it up (if you haven't already) and discover the world of Aibileen, Miss Skeeter, and Minny of Jackson, Mississippi. It has been compared to To Kill A Mockingbird, which I think is the perfect review right there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I bought this book last week when Margaret was visiting. She read it -- so now it's my turn!
Larisa said…
Did she like it? It is told from three different perspectives...keeps it interesting.
Anonymous said…
Yes, she did like it. She said it was very interesting to read.
tobi said…
i looked up pat conroy after reading your blog and i'm now ferociously reading prince of tides. i didn't even realize it was a book...i just know of the cheesy looking barbara streisand movie...the book is AMAZING! have you read it? if not add it to your list! i'm going to also read the other pat conroy you mentioned.
Larisa said…
Tobi! I'm so happy to hear you are giving Conroy a try. You'll love his work. Water is Wide, Prince of Tides, Lords of Discipline...these are fond books from my high school days.

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...