Baby, Brownies, Baking

...and the award for worst brownie ever (and possibly worst picture ever) goes to...me. Maybe I'm being overly critical? After all, I still ate two. But, I won't be a contestant on Top Chef Just Desserts anytime soon. Today was a BUST. This morning was supposed to be my Halloween inspired Hui morning, but it ended up being the Hui that never was. Zach was still dressed as Mr. Bones though. Morbidly cute. To try to help turn the day around, I decided to bake. The first problem I encountered with that plan, no bundt pan. I was all set to bake a delicious treat (coconut chocolate bundt cake from the Coconut Cookbook I grabbed at the library last week), and realized that I don't actually have a bundt pan. I swear I did. On to baking back up plan---chocolate, coconut, ginger brownies. I had all the ingredients on hand, only a 30 minute cook time, and no bundt pan required. Should have been a piece of...well, brownie! I melted my chocolate and butter, got out my ingredients, was shocked I had enough eggs (since it required a whopping five), and was generally pleased as punch with myself since I realized I had never baked brownies that didn't come from a box before (and even then, they never turn out quite right for me). But then, I discovered those pesky flour bugs in my all purpose flour bin. Gross out. Wasteful. I threw out two entire bags of what could/should have been perfectly good flour. Since I had already begun mixing egg and sugar, I went with the only other flour I had (no flour bugs I promise)...almond flour. Entering new baking territory, I could hardly wait to try the finished product. The finished product that tasted great (the trio of ginger, chocolate, and coconut is almost as divine as the original trinity---the father, the son, and the holy ghost) but was lacking in certain textural advantages. The top layer, a brownie. Definitely. The middle layer, gooey. Definitely. The bottom...still trying to figure that one out. Gabe enjoyed it, but his culinary tastes are based in the land of chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, and peanut butter and jelly...
When Isom gets home, I guess he can be the final say on whether or not these brownies are destined for my belly...or the trash.

Comments

tobi said…
i've never made a homemade brownie that actually tasted good!!! they always have a weird texture issue as well and box brownies really only taste good in batter form in my opinion ;) what happened with your hui??? zach looks adorable!! what's gabe gonna be??

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail