Northshore Exploration: Pu'u O Mahuka


Today's adventure brought me to O'ahu's northshore---Pupukea, above Waimea to be more precise. There is a hiking trail at the end of the road behind Pupukea Foodland that I have done, but today my time was limited---my outing needed to be accomplished before noon, so I decided on a return to Pu'u O Mahuka Heiau.


Heiau is defined as a sacred historic Hawaiian temple. Pu'u O Mahuka is the largest heiau on O'ahu and translates to mean 'hill of escape'. It definitely felt like I was escaping the city and modern life today. It's beautiful here. 


Besides the gorgeous view, there were plants, leis, and offerings laid respectfully to honor ancestors. 

 
The trail around the rock walls of the heiau enable visitors to take in the Waianae Mountains, Waimea Bay, Waimea Valley, and the horizon on the Pacific Ocean. The weather was perfect for the walk down the path that led to another vantage point of Waimea waves crashing on big black rocks below.


And of course, no mountain trail (regardless of length) is complete without discovering a graffitied Pillbox. 



Although, not technically a hike, the trip to Pu'u O Mahuka was outdoors, I got to walk amongst the trees, see mountains, and breathe in the salt water air---all the things I love about hiking on O'ahu. 

 

...no trip to the northshore would be complete without a pitstop to Brew and Foam for coffee. I even bought another new hat for my outdoor adventures. Hashtag Wonderful Wednesday!
 






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail