Lighthouse Exploration: Barbers Point Lighthouse


If I had my way, I'd probably hike everyday---a short hike, a long hike, an uphill hike, a beach hike.  Something.  But that is not reality.  But, I do try to get outside everyday.  Luckily that can be a reality since the weather on O'ahu is relatively cooperative and outdoor options can look like a day at the beach, a walk in the park, a hike, a swim at the pool, or an excursion to the Lighthouse---the Barbers Point Lighthouse to be exact.



Recently, I took the boys (aged 13 and 5) on a mini day time adventure to Barbers Point Beach Park (located next door to Germaine's Luau...if you haven't heard of it, your mainland relatives probably have).  We parked our car in the beach park parking lot and armed only with my trusty iPhone, made our way across red dirt to the sandy beach and along a rocky coast to the Lighthouse.  I love lighthouses.  On O'ahu, the Lighthouses I had previously been to were: the popular Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail and the Diamond Head Lighthouse.  Now, new to me, I could add Barbers Point to the list of visited lighthouses.  Each of the three I have been to have their own unique qualities.  Makapu'u Lighthouse was closed off for a long time and I only recently took the "off the main trail" path to get up close to it.  That lighthouse is cool since it is on a cliff of rocks and has fences and "do not trespass" signs surrounding it.  The Diamond Head Lighthouse I've only viewed from the surf spot parking lot up the road and from some distance along the Diamond Head hiking trail.  It rates as okay. Being just within arms reach of the other two lighthouses made getting up close and personal to the Barbers Point Lighthouse that much more exciting.  Too bad my kids weren't as interested in it as I was.  They spent their time looking in the rocks along the beach and pointing out dead octopus (sorry no pictures) floating along the shore...




So, our first adventure to the Lighthouse was good for me and just meh for my boys.  And then I had the bright idea to check out the Lighthouse at sunset.  And so did a few other people.  For sunset we brought along my husband and I was excited to get some Christmas Card worthy, sunset family photos, complete with Lighthouse in the background.  Instead we realized a little too late that it was high tide---so that previously pleasant walk from the car to the Lighthouse...now spent dodging large waves and hoping not to get washed away en route to the Lighthouse.  And those other people that had my same bright idea, they got dibs on the best photo spots since they were there first and they had an actual camera with them.  We took what photos we could and proceeded down the beach a little ways---away from the Lighthouse.  We...I, tried to just be in the moment enjoying the sunset.  All the while I was really secretly stewing over the missed photo opportunity. 

Non Sunset Photos 👇





At least we didn't get swept out to see by the rogue high tide waves.  At least I did manage to see the sunset with my family.  Bright side.  At least I did get a couple of good shots on our first visit to the Lighthouse.  At least we went to La Tour in Kapolei for a Banh Mi sandwich dinner afterwards.

The End.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...