Seconds Please! Koko Crater Arch and Hiking Hawaii Cafe



A day of seconds.  Second day of full kindergarten for my youngest son Zach.  Second week of High School for my oldest son Gabe.  Second trip to climb/hike the Koko Crater Arch located across the street from the famous Halona (lookout) Blowhole in East Honolulu. Second trip also to the Hiking Hawaii Cafe in Waikiki for after hike nourishment.  Seconds are pretty cool.  



Our initial hike intention was to celebrate "Back to School" with finally conquering the Makapu'u Puka Trail.  Much to our dismay, upon arriving at the parking area for this exciting adventure, we saw  an officer of the law sitting inside his vehicle waiting to give tickets to those who might venture onto property that technically is not for hiking.  Sigh.  Time for Plan B, or the second choice.  Off to a less trespass-y trail nearby, Koko Crater Arch.  I was happy to take my Thursday hiking partner on this totally unshaded, rock filled path to Hawaii's own natural rock arch.



If you look closely in the picture directly above, you can just make out the Koko Crater Arch.  It is pretty cool in person.  This fifteen minute trek off the side of the road up a couple of steep dusty rock hills is probably the quickest "hike" on the island.  I previously hiked this short trail on a hiking date with my husband.  This second time up was easier.  I felt more confident, less anxious, and excited to introduce my hiking partner to this short rock adventure.




This hike is nice because there are clear blue skies and rich blue ocean views the entire trail.  This also means that you are exposed to both wind and sun for the entire trail, but since it is pretty short (about a mile total there and back), you aren't exposed for long.  The views of the Ka Iwi Coastline are good as you trek up and up to the Arch.  Once you arrive at the Arch, a little concentration is needed while you maneuver your feet over and around loose gravel and rock to get to the underside of the Arch.  I wouldn't wear rubbah slippahs for this hike.  We took the left side path (if you are facing the Arch with your back to the ocean).



The Arch is a fun place to relax, sip some refreshing water, and have a photo shoot.  Similarly to my last trip to the Arch, we had the place entirely to ourselves---lucky us!  We could pose and be silly all we wanted!



When we had finally filled our phones with a ton of fuzzy slipper and me doing plank under the Arch photos, we headed back down (more concentration right around the Arch due to steep drop offs and slippery rocks).  When we hike on the Eastside, our food options usually waiver between BYO Bowls or Jersey Mike's Subs.  Today however, we ventured into Waikiki for my second trip to Hiking Hawaii Cafe.  The first time I went there I was impressed.  The second time I went (today) I fell in love.  The lavender latte and avocado toast were music to my stomach after our morning hike to the Arch.  Turned out that our change in initial plans actually worked out to be a better adventure.  Seconds are sometimes better than firsts.



Here's to second time adventures.  I'm guessing third and fourth time adventures can be pretty rewarding as well.  Looking forward to the third and fourth trips to the Arch and Hiking Hawaii Cafe in the future!



A few tips on today's seconds:

1. Go early for a cooler hike to the Arch.
2. Wear sunscreen for the Arch...I usually skip this step and just wear a hat, but in today's wind my hat flew off several times and finally I just gave up and took it off and attached it to my CamelPak.
3. We parked at Halona Blowhole across the street, a cop was parked there so even if we got a parking ticket (which we thankfully didn't), at least we knew our car and belongings wouldn't be stolen!
4. Go with someone, everything is better shared.
5. Hiking Hawaii Cafe has several coffee options---I can vouch for the Lavender Latte and the Coconut Latte.
6.  Park at the Double Tree Hotel for Hiking Hawaii Cafe, they will Valet park your car for free and the cafe will validate (you just need cash to tip the Valet).
7. Talk to the Valet guys, they are fun and know all the good menu items to order at Hiking Hawaii Cafe!





                               "Life is all about how you handle Plan B." Suzy Toronto










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail