State Recreation Exploration: Wa'ahila Ridge Trail


Wednesday morning at Wa'ahila.  This was another second chance hike.  I first did this trail at the beginning of the summer with my good friend Sarah and my youngest son Zach (before he entered kindergarten and when he was always my hiking sidekick).  Yesterday, I hit the trail with one of my Friday Morning Coffee Companions, Lisa...and no kiddos.  As you can imagine, the first time on this trail with a kid vs. my second time on this trail without kids...very different experiences.  


The first trek on this trail resulted in a pretty bad fall (I bruised one side of my body) when I inadvertently headed down the wrong path and slid on some pine needles.  After I dusted myself off, laughed at my silly mistake, and caught my breath, we continued down the trail only to have Sarah's favorite hat blown off her head and the side of the mountain in a large whooshing gust of wind.  A few minutes after that, we got rained on.  That was the first time on this hike.



When I was trying to figure out what hike to do yesterday, I proposed conquering Koko Crater Stairs to Lisa (half hoping she would decline that beast of a hike).  She did decline (woohoo) and suggested Wa'ahila Ridge instead.  Despite the negatives from my first experience, I agreed.  That's how Wa'ahila Wednesday took shape.  The weather this time around was better---clearer skies, we did not get rained on, but we also didn't get to see a rainbow as I did the previous time.  The wind was still gusting every now and then but neither of us wore a hat, so we were in the clear for losing one.  I knew the correct path to take (thanks to my previous tumble) and managed to complete the entire trail without any scrapes, bruises, bangs, or falling off the side of the mountain.



The second time around I was more comfortable and able to enjoy good conversation and stunning views without worrying about the safety of my youngest kiddo and learning from the mistakes I made the first time around.  Hmmm...seems like a life lesson blossoming.




This trail offers forrest terrain, rock climbing (nothing too crazy or involving ropes), ridge line paths, strawberry guava all over the place, Christmas berries, birds singing, cool breezes, and a good workout.  The trail takes you up and down pretty consistently throughout, giving you a chance to sweat and burn off some calories.  Depending on your fitness level, you may feel the cardio and find yourself panting and winded during some sections.  We completed this trail to the end point signs which put us at 4.4 miles, 97 floors climbed, and 11, 200 steps...all before Noon.  We definitely felt accomplished!





I would definitely do this trail again (with or without kids).  And I would definitely do it over Koko Crater Stairs any day.  I would suggest leaving your hat at home, there is enough shade that you aren't too exposed to the sun for most of the hike.  Bring water, preferably in a CamelPak that does not have a faulty mouthpiece (I discovered mine was not working properly on the trail).  This trail is best experienced with a friend and in the morning when it is clear---you can really enjoy those Ko'olau Mountains, Diamond Head, and Western O'ahu long views.  As it was a Wednesday Hike (the kids have early dismissal day on Wednesdays) there was not time for an after hike food adventure.  But, feeling motivated from my active start to the day, I did make a pretty healthy dinner that was of course picture worthy.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...