Crouching Lion, Hidden Bunker
Before the trail even began, I was already taking snapshots like a mad woman. This part of O'ahu is simply beautiful. It is untouched by tall buildings and highways and for as far as the eye can see there are lush mountains, blue bays, clear skies, and sun rays shining. It is ideal. I had been wanting to take on the challenge of Crouching Lion for quite some time. I read many online blog posts, reviews, and drooled over pictures. I wanted to soak up as much knowledge beforehand about what I'd heard could be a dangerous trail. I'm happy to report that I (along with the three ladies I hiked with) survived...and I'm ready to go again.
Despite the warning signs. Literally. Me and three other adventurous spirits trekked up hill over roots, through leaves and mud, past sharp brush and sticks, over gravelly dirt and loose rocks to several plateaus that offered stunning views and photo opportunities. The mini Crouching Lion trail is not very long, but we were unsure, as first timers, of what we were really in for. All the reviews and online commentary in the world can't fully prepare you for the actual experience itself---which was completely exhilarating. We got a good cardio kick start ascending the hill, a good sweat cleanse thanks to the humidity, and we even got a slight upper body workout climbing some large rocks and balancing up and down hills with ropes as our main source of support.
Sometimes when you build something up in your mind and then finally get the opportunity to experience it you can be let down. That was not the case with this hike. If anything, it was better than I imagined. We were very lucky to have hit this trail during good weather, I don't know if I could speak so highly of the trail if it had been raining or recently rained and covered in mud. As it was, we found ourselves pushing further than maybe we had originally planned---and it was so worth it. There were lots of other hikers on the trail with us...I guess Thursday Trails is a thing. It was great to have a shared camaraderie on this trail. Even though our group did not encounter any issues, we were reminded quickly that others had not been so lucky. Two crosses mark final resting spots for fellow hikers---a sobering reminder of how every footstep counts.
As we neared the top of the mini ridge portion of Crouching Lion, we realized that we hadn't seen the two bunkers that are also along this trail. We hadn't come all this way to not see painted bunkers! Luckily there was a knowledgeable hiker at the top who frequents this trail. She gave us directions on how we could get to the bunkers. But first, we had some photos to shoot and some rocks to paint. Yes, rocks to paint. My new friend Anh carried a bag of river rocks (purchased not collected along the trail) and paint pens all the way to the top...so we had a little arts and crafts time at the top of the mountain. New favorite hiking activity.
Adventure on we did. Down, down, down and back to the two lane road where we began and walked along the side until we came to an opening that lead us slightly back up the hill and directly into the first of two old WWII Bunkers or Pillboxes. Everyone loves a pillbox hike. If we had just come for the bunkers, we wouldn't have experienced the greatness that was the Crouching Lion Mini Hike. The trail from the road to the bunkers was less than five minutes. The added detour was a pretty place to catch our last views of Kahana and the ocean that was calling my name to dive in and cool off.
Because of the distance from my house to this hike, there was no time for an after hike treat, but this time, the treat was the hike. I was so thrilled to have checked this off my "to hike" list. I already have plans underway for a return trip. This hike is not for children. This hike is not for those who are worried about heights. There are open ridges with sheer cliffs on a few portions of the trail. If you aren't into rock climbing, this also might not be the trail for you. But if you love adventure, exploring, a little cardio, and challenging yourself, this is definitely a trail to add to your "to hike" list. And don't forget to check out the hidden bunker(s) before or after Crouching Lion Mini Trail. Roarrrrrrrrr!


































Comments
Post a Comment