Heart, Whales, Cave, and Tacos

...just a few of the things to love about Ka'ena Point Caves hike on the westside of O'ahu.


Happy Valentines Day...from rainy, thundery, O'ahu.  As I sit on my couch binge watching Keanu Reeves movies (annual heart day tradition), I decided to multi-task and hop on the computer to recount another recent hike I completed.  


Ka'ena Point is a well known state park located at the farthest tip of O'ahu where northern and western shores meet.  I have hiked both the north and west trails numerous times, to include adventures to the Pillboxes at the top, checking out the infamous heart shaped rock, visiting the albatross bird sanctuary, experiencing sunset, seeing monk seals, and whales breaching in the open ocean---it's a hiking play ground.




But of course, there was still something else I had not heard of or yet explored---the massive cave at the end of the trail before the bird sanctuary.  Ka'ena Point Cave was a super adventure (not to be confused with another westside cave: Kaneana Caves, better known as Makua Caves).  After hiking in from the westside (about 2.5 miles) and seeing dozens of whales splashing along with us, we finally reached the fence line before the bird sanctuary at Ka'ena Point.  It was here that our true hiking adventure began.  We headed up the fence line in search of a hole in the ground, some rope, and an opening that would lead us to uncharted territory.



It didn't take long for us to find...a lady peeing in the bushes on the side of the mountain.  I think she thought we were following her.  We were not.  We only had eyes set on finding the cave.  After a brief apologetic encounter with the bathroom bandit, we continued along the trail.  A short distance up the mountain and away from the fence line, my eyes caught a glimpse of a sure sign of adventure---a thick blue and white trail rope.  Success!



We were giddy with excitement that we had found the entrance to the cave.  Now all we had to do was figure out how to actually climb down into the cave.  There was much debate.  There were several attempts.  There was talk of giving up.  And then our fearless Marina, hopped down the rope, planted her feet on unseen rocks below, and persuaded us that we too could make it into the cave (although none of us were quite sure how we would be getting back out).


The cave contained old rust covered (what appeared to be) train remnants---tracks, equipment, gadgety stuff.  There were also large wooden beams which I can only compare to what you might imagine seeing inside an old gold mine.  We were having a Goonies moment! We also came across a memorial for a fallen fellow hiker---a totally unexpected sight in the middle of a cave, in the middle of nowhere.




I'm not too knowledgeable on caves or cave history or O'ahu cave history...this was an entirely new experience.  First finding out there was a cave, then finding said cave, then exploring around under ground in the cave I never knew existed...definitely an exciting morning.



After taking a few photos and turning all our lights off (not totally spooky as there was still light shining in by the opening) we called it a day on cave exploring.  We had already hiked a couple of miles and knew we still had to get out of the cave and hike back...and of course eat tacos after!  I shimmied my way up the rope and out of the cave first.  It was a feat of upper arm strength to be sure.  I was excited to finally utilize my hiking gloves...and my arms.  No rope burn suffered, my hands were ready to pass the gloves down to Marina and Sarah and document them exiting the cave, as well as throw them shakas of encouragement.  





One cave climb does not make me an expert by any means, but I definitely felt a boost of confidence after getting in and out of this Ka'ena Point Cave successfully.  And my hiking gals Sarah and Marina did a bang up job as well.  Fearless hiking, now fearless cave exploring, partners in crime.




Now, I know who I can call if I'm ever stuck in a hole.  The return hike from the cave back to the trail head was relaxing.  The hard part of the journey was behind us.  On the way to the cave we were lucky enough to spot multiple whales frolicking in the ocean beside us.  At the cave we experienced an unknown underground world.  After the cave we took in the beauty that is Ka'ena Point.  It was a good hiking day.




And we even made one more pit stop at the heart shaped rock...because Valentines Day was near.  Love my friends, love my hikes, love my after hike eats, love living this Hawai'i life.  Hope your friends, hikes, eats, and life are filled with adventure and love too.



And avocado.  Can't forget how much better everything is with a slice of avocado.

Happy love day~


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail