Kahekili with Keanu and Friends



Hiking leads me to the most unexpected of places.  There are many trails on O'ahu, both legal and illegal.  There are the touristy trails that everyone knows about.  There are the challenging trails that are "hashtag goals" for fitness superstars.  There are trails for the family, for the kids, trails for when you are limited on time.  There are trails that are Instagram perfection and there are epic trails, trails that incorporate a little of everything for everyone...that is Kahekili Ridge.  


I first read about Kahekili Ridge online.  An Instagram post here, a blog post there, a few sparse words amongst other hikers in online forums.  It was on my radar, but this year hasn't been big on tackling my Hiking Bucket List.  I've tackled other goals---running the Great Aloha Run, running in general, and adding a few new 10Ks to my small running list.  Hiking has still been in my heart, but not always when and where I most want to do it.  As the kids get older, I find myself tackling many of their adventures, including many afternoons sitting on beach after beach as they learn how to surf (this summer especially).  Now, I know I can't complain about getting to go to beaches many mainland folks would love to visit, but when you prefer the mountains to the water, beaches can  sometimes feel still and tedious.



So, when the opportunity presented itself to indulge in a kid free, adult hiking adventure, I jumped at it.  Two hiking companions, myself, my trusty backpack, hat, water bottle, and mini Keanu Reeves figurine headed far from home to where windward O'ahu meets north shore O'ahu.  Kahekili Ridge is not an official state trail, but it doesn't appear that we were trespassing either...at least according to the trusty sign that greeted us and the very nice folks who smiled and waved to us as we walked in their neighborhood.  





The trail begins flat, green, and shrouded in large rain forest type leaves.  There is a clear path cutting through large plants and then the trail starts to climb and there are patches of mud, more trees, roots, and incline.  Within a few minutes we had already climbed above the treeline and glimpsed a view of the ocean and those majestic Ko'olau Mountains that surround parts of O'ahu.  We took the break in the forest as an opportunity for a break from the already steep incline and to snap a few photos.


Each of us were traveling along this trail for the first time.  We had to trust each other and assume that we were headed in the right direction.  The trail did, however, seem very obvious with little room for errors.  The more we climbed, the more obvious the trail became.  The more we climbed the hotter the trail became.  The more we climbed, the more sore our legs became.  




It quickly became clear to me that I underestimated the amount of water to bring.  When I come back to this trail, I will be sure to overestimate.  Except for the beginning portion and a few portions in the middle of our trail, we were mostly exposed to the hot Hawaiian sun.  We started the trail around nine in the morning, but an earlier start could definitely help with the heat and thirst factors.



One of the things I enjoyed most about this trail was that there were almost no people on it.  We hiked all morning and only encountered one person...a lone, brave soul who made it to the top of the waterfall (our original goal) and was making his way down as we were still trekking up, up, up.  This ridge trail was beautiful through every step.  We had views that reminded me of views from the top of the Pali Notches Trail.  We found an old WWII graffitied bunker that reminded me of several hikes around O'ahu that have remnants of our military past.  A natural cliff lookout right before reaching the bunker reminded me of the stunning lookout on the Crouching Lion Mini Trail.  As we went higher and higher up the mountain, parts of the trail reminded me of the Pali Puka Trail.  I was so wowed by this new to me trail and how each section of the trail reminded me of other epic trails I've done on O'ahu.




My legs were definitely wowed too.  Prior to hitting this trail, I hiked three consecutive days before...all mostly uphill trails.  By day four, doing Kahekili was really putting my hiking legs to the test.  I'm so glad we did it, but I definitely made my hiking partners slow down and take a few extra breaks as we steadily climbed uphill over uneven rock near shear cliffs.  This trail is not for those who have a fear of heights...you will be miserable.  This trail is not for taking the kids...there are rope portions, most of the trail is so close to the edge and the opportunities for tripping and falling are abundant, making for nervous/anxious hiking---not ideal for pets and kiddos.




But this trail is for those who love a good cardio uphill challenge.  It is for those who love a view.  It is for those who like to be out in nature without a crowd.  It is for me!  Although the trail isn't a long trail (according to AllTrails App it is 1.9 miles, and ranked as HARD), it is a steady steep incline that will make your knees suffer, cause you extreme thirst, drench you in sweat, and leave you feeling accomplished after you complete it.





Bring your water plus double or triple that (depending if you attempt during the summer or not), your best traction hiking shoes, your camera, hiking gloves for rope sections, sunscreen to protect yourself from those UV rays, and patience.  This hike is short but strenuous therefore making the climb slow going at times...you may even feel tired and defeated.  You may want to turn around and give up at times...but don't!  The views are rewarding and the Jell-O legs were so worth it.








Thanks so much to Awesome April and Joyful Jennah who kept me motivated and smiling, while also  playing photographer and enduring my need to capture every nanosecond of this epic trail.  This was a trail to remember...a true hikers high (literally and figuratively). I'm a lucky girl.  Lucky to have friends to share hiking adventures with, lucky to survive mountain top edges, lucky these mountains are my playground, and lucky to live Hawai'i!






                     ...lucky to have canned Lilikoi Juice.  It was the best tasting juice ever...




                 ...lucky to have my mini Keanu figurine accompanying us along the trail...😉


** Hawaiian meaning of Kahekili: "The Thunder"...this past Sunday, I did most of Kahekili Ridge with two girlfriends. Thunder: the sound of lightning. Kahekili Ridge: the sound of my knees crying.**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail