52 New: #2 Ko Hana Rum Distillers Tour


Week two of the new year and I managed to taste something new, sugarcane rum straight from the distillery.  Just down the road from Schofield Barracks, in the farm land of Kunia in Central O'ahu, there is a rum distiller.  There are acres of sugarcane planted and harvested for unique Hawai'i rum. For Isom's birthday we ditched the kids and spent the early part of Saturday afternoon sipping four unique flavors of rum.  Before our multiple shots of rum, we went on a tour of the grounds that included the sugarcane garden, picnic area, distillery room, and the tasting room (unfortunately the bottling room was closed on the weekend).  Not only was it a fun birthday excursion, but it was a fun way to sip something NEW.



I had been wanting to go on the Ko Hana Rum tour for quite sometime.  When our friends recently went on the tour, I took it as a sign to stop saying I want to go on the tour, and actually book the tour and go on the tour.  I headed to the Ko Hana Rum website, made our reservations, and waited for the afternoon of rum sipping to arrive.  


Our tour started promptly at 1:00 p.m. with one other couple.  Covid protocols were practiced (mask wearing, socially distanced, small group).  Our tour guide was very knowledgeable, friendly, and ready to answer all of our sugarcane and rum questions.  Ko Hana Rum, we learned, is made from freshly pressed native Hawaiian sugarcane.  We learned about the the span of time it takes from harvest to what was referred to as sugarcane wine.  We learned about the different types of barrels used to store and age the rum.  We learned how flavors can be changed based on the types of wood the barrels are made from.  We learned about evaporation loss, how there are at least 34 varieties of sugarcane---each producing their own type of flavor/rum.  All that information was making me thirsty!


When we made it back to where the tour began, we were eager to taste the rum we had learned so much about.  The presentation was beautiful---etched glasses were at the ready with bottles of each of the rums sitting proudly behind them.  We began our tasting with a clear or white rum.  This type of rum is usually found in Mojitos.  The variety we tried first is called Mahai'ula. We were not graced with any muddled mint and so this first sip was very strong.  And so was the second.  And third, until I finally finished my first rum shot.  It made my tongue tingle.  For the second rum tasting we again had a white rum but it was from a different variety of sugarcane and is called Pilimai.  This rum was a bit more palatable for me...but I probably still could have used some juice to mix with it.  A few sips of water in between and we were moving on to the third rum to taste.  Two rums in and I was ready for an eyepatch and a peg leg.  The third rum was a barrel aged rum called Koho, a sipping rum, more like whiskey or bourbon in my opinion.  Now we were getting somewhere.  For the final rum taste of the afternoon there was another dark rum and this one was the winner.  Truly saved the best for last.  The Kokoleka.  Even saying the name is fun.  This dark rum is infused with local cacao nibs (that's chocolate) and honey.  It was sweet and rich and somehow smoky and reminded me of a cold winters day sitting by the fire.  This was the one we would be buying and taking home.
  

The rum tasting was complete after our four different shots/sips of rum.  We were also treated to a sampling of the local honey that is used in some of their rums.  Now, some of you may recall that I have been doing a no sugar/Keto life style since October 1st, 2020.  With the exception of a few Christmas Cocktails (The Christmas Bar, I had too!) I have not been drinking too much alcohol and definitely not been taking bites of honey for fun.  I definitely experienced a sugar shock.  A rush.  A high.  It was a lot all at once.  But, for Isom's birthday and for my 52 New Things Resolution...I took one for the team.  Today I am in full detox mode.  

I would definitely recommend folks who are 21 and over checking out both the Ko Hana Rum (your local Foodland sells it) and the rum tasting tour.  It was a break from the ordinary Saturday afternoon activities.  We felt good about supporting a local business while at the same time supporting our love of adult beverages.  My first trip to a rum distillery and rum tasting tour was a fun new success! It was an afternoon of rum~ 


                            "Best ideas come while sipping rum." Pavol Kazimir


Let me know what you think if you decide to check it out...or better yet, let me know so I can come too!

Click the link: Ko Hana Rum


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail