52 New: # 11 Graduation Photo Shoot




New thing number 11...my oldest son, my first born, my Gabe is GRADUATING from High School.  I can not believe it.  Here we are, a month from the big day.  Of course, the occasion needed to be commemorated.  What better way to keep this moment in time alive than with a photo shoot!  


Thankfully I have a photographer friend...otherwise the photo shoot would have been strictly iPhone.  The unwilling participant/soon to be graduate was hesitant of any picture taking.  For someone who constantly watches others on TikTok and Instagram, he was reluctant to participate in anything that would capture his image for prosperity (although, after typing that...I kinda get where he is coming from...there's a TON of idiocy on those platforms).  Buuuuuut, as the mom, the grad photo shoot had to be done.  Thank you Janell (and your twin sister assistant Jennah) for taking some time out of your busy lives with kids and spouses to have a fun grad themed sunset photoshoot by the Barbers Point Lighthouse.


Once we actually got to our photo shoot location, Gabe loosened up a bit and let us pose him.  Our initial photo shoot location was going to be Nimitz Beach.  It's a great place for watching the sunset and usually we find it to be secluded...everything we wanted.  I was trying to make things as comfortable as possible for Gabe, so extra onlookers seemed to be a no go.  But what is that saying about best laid plans?  Once we arrived at the original location, a couple (not doing a photo shoot) took our intended spot.  Not in the mood to try to convince them to move, we headed to the Plan B spot---the lighthouse.


In the end, I'm very happy with how the lighthouse location ended up working out.  There were only a couple of bystanders (guests from the neighboring Germaine's Luau that was right in the middle of a Sunday Luau dinner).  Amongst a few sweet wishes of congratulations, we were able to take as many pictures as the setting sun light would allow.  Our props were the lighthouse, streamers, sunglasses, leis, cap, gown, tassel, and the beautiful O'ahu beach at sunset.  All these things coupled with my teenager and Janell's awesome photo skills made for a fun new experience.  


I know graduating isn't a new experience.  And neither is taking a ton of photos.  But put them together for your first child, and voila, "new thing"!  And it was definitely a first for Gabe.  So I'm counting it.  I know after each blog post, I'm always "this is my favorite new thing"...well, THIS was my favorite "new thing".  I was bursting with pride.  It was impossible not to do this photo shoot without wanting to cry.  Suddenly I was seeing my baby as a young man---equal parts wonderful and gut wrenching.  




I don't know how I am going to get through the next month.  At least I have all of the amazing photos from this evening on the sand to keep me smiling/crying until graduation.  Covid may have derailed a few of the typical milestone markers for this Senior, but you wouldn't know it based on how resilient, calm, and collected he has been.  For all the things missed during his Senior Year, I'm glad Janell was able to capture the fleeting time before he is off to college in the Fall.  As of this blog post, it's looking like he will stay in Hawai'i and attend my alma mater, University of Hawai'i at Manoa




New things for Gabe in the coming year for sure.  Maybe my "new things" personal challenge will help me to help him in this coming year of change.  We are both graduating, on to more "new things".  Hopefully we both will come through relatively unscathed and learning more about ourselves and the world around us.  


The Graduation Details:

Where: Aloha Stadium, O'ahu

When: Sunday, May 16, 2021

Who: Gabriel Majors

From: Mililani High School



The Details:

Lifestyle Photography

@littlekauaigirl on Instagram

Janell Hughes




  "Life is my college.  May I graduate well, and earn some honors."  -Louisa May Alcott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail