52 New: #12 Ka'au Crater Waterfall Loop

 



Twelve down, forty more "new things" to go.  My latest: climbing up waterfalls, three to be exact, in the back of Palolo Valley on the Ka'au Crater Waterfall Loop Trail.  This trail has been on my list for awhile.  It was nice to get it marked off.  This hike makes the list of "new things" for a couple of reasons.  One, I had never done this hike before.  Two, I had never climbed up a waterfall.  Three, I've never been so sore and tired after a hike (including when I did Stairway to Heaven).    



Ka'au Crater is a volcanic crater.  It is an extinct tuff cone volcano in the back of Palolo Valley on the island of O'ahu. Like the more famous Diamond Head (also an extinct volcano tuff cone), it was created after a series of volcanic eruptions.  The legend is that the crater was formed when demigod Maui tried pulling O'ahu and Kauai with his hook (have you watched Moana?), but the hook snapped off the line and dented the earth, and the end result is Ka'au Crater.  Either version, science or legend, makes for an incredible creation in nature that is now known as "O'ahu's BEST Hike" (although, I'm not sure I completely agree with that moniker).




This hike definitely has multiple components that keep you engaged, interested, and sore the next day.  The loop hike that we did takes you on a tour of three waterfalls, partial ridge, muddy rock filled stream bed, rainforest, and forest.  Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of waterfall hikes.  I don't enjoy slogging through soupy mud or potential ankle breaking rocks.  I can be persuaded to adventure along to see waterfalls from time to time, but give me a ridge with a view any day of the week.  


The waterfalls along this loop trail were mostly more impressive than the average O'ahu waterfall hike. The first waterfall flowed into a perfect oasis that I could have spent all day relaxing at, but we had other waterfalls to see and more rocks to climb.  Waterfall number two, slightly underwhelming, but I still could appreciate how great she could be if it was a big flow day.  Waterfall number three, the longest of the three waterfalls, was impressive with how many tiers it had (we of course forgot to count...but my arms and legs say it was a lot).  Waterfall number three was so tall we could not see the entire thing in one glance.  It was this waterfall that took us the longest to climb up but was also the most exciting and fun. Number three (I'll have to think of an actual name for her) was the most enjoyable part of the waterfall journey and probably of the entire hike.    



After exerting almost all my energy hiking in and climbing to the top of each of the three waterfalls, we were probably still only half way through the hike.  Once we arrived at the top of the last waterfall, we had reached the split---if we were wanting to continue on to the more challenging crater rim part of the trail, we could head up one way.  That was NOT part of the days plans.  We headed in the opposite direction, away from the rim trail and towards the small ridge portion of the hike.  Some day I hope to explore the rim, but there's no rush.  



It was at this junction we stopped to eat our packed picnic lunches.  Salami and cheese never tasted so good.  This was also the spot that we could glimpse views of the crater itself.  From our vantage point we could see a portion of the rim trail, other summits in the Ko'olau Mountain range, and part of the  marshy swamp crater floor.  A "new view"!  Once we had refueled and rejuvenated,  we were ready to tackle the last half of the hike a.k.a. returning to the car.  The hard part was behind us.  The waterfalls were behind us.  The view was behind us.  Now it was the long slog back through the muddy forest and rocky stream bed.  Least favorite.  



I did have fun  (in case the tone of the previous paragraphs led you to believe otherwise).  Hiking with April is always an adventure.  I felt accomplished after our Ka'au Crater journey.  I would do it again...but maybe not right away, I've got other "new adventures" to tackle.  My first impression of this hike was that it is tiring, but after some days to rest my sore muscles and reflect on the morning of adventure, I would adjust that impression.  This hike is not for everyone, namely the guy we encountered on our way out, who had zero provisions, and almost zero clothes and shoes.  He didn't seem ready to tackle all the pieces of this hike.  I would say that if you are a waterfall lover who doesn't mind getting dirty, and you have half a day to devote to really enjoying all the sights this hike has to offer, then go for it.    





Thank you April for leading the charge on this new adventure.  I wish I had your continued unbridled enthusiasm---always the investigator, always the invested hiker---admirable qualities.  Even though this hike doesn't fall into my personal "Best Hikes on O'ahu" list, it is still up there because it got me outside of my comfort zone.  It challenged me to hike a trail that was new and unknown to me.  It challenged me to climb up three waterfalls!  And who knows, maybe I will change my mind after completing this hike for a second time...only time will tell.  Until then, stay on stream.  


The Details:

Trail: Ka'au Crater Waterfall Loop

Location: Palolo Valley, O'ahu Hawai'i

Length: 7.3 miles (if you complete both rim and waterfall loop)

4.8 miles (according to my iPhone Health app and only doing the waterfall minus rim loop)

Time: Slightly under 5 hours

Parking: A small gravel lot right at the trail head, please be courteous to the neighbors

Supplies: water, bug repellent, snack (preferably protein), micro spikes, hiking shoes, clothes you don't mind getting dirty, bathing suit, hiking gloves, hiking buddy!

On Insta: Hashtag KaauCrater

"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it." --Andy Rooney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Turtle Bay "LOST" Trail