52 New: #36 Makaha Sons Concert


The coolest night out in paradise can be found at Blue Note Hawai'i.  I accomplished experiencing two new things last night by attending a Hawaiian Music concert at the Blue Note Hawai'i in Waikiki.  Number thirty-six (out of fifty-two) was seeing a concert by a group I have never seen live before.  It was doubly new since it was a new venue to experience as well.  New live band concert at a new to me venue made last night's "new thing" adventure extra fun.

I love music, especially live music.  I have been to concerts at multiple venues on O'ahu and seen favorite bands in concert in Georgia, Washington, California, and Colorado.  Each concert experience has been special in its own way---from the band you are going to see, to the venue, to the people you attend the concert with.  Concerts can be a religious experience.  Concerts are a unique mix of a deeply personal experience that you have with hundreds (pre-Covid anyway) of other people.  Everyone in attendance has their favorite song(s) that reminds them of a time in their life (good or bad), a song that makes them feel more, think more, dream more, love more, hurt more, dance more.  Concerts are MORE everything and it was the thing I missed most during this pandemic.  

I have been eagerly awaiting my return to enjoying live music, and I feel so grateful that after more than a year and a half, I finally got to immerse myself in a concert experience.  A few changes had to take place in order to attend last nights concert.  The amount of concert goers was definitely abbreviated from a typical concert.  Temperature checks, proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-test result, mask wearing, social distancing, and plexiglass partitions between customers in the venue.  Since I had never been to the Blue Note, there was nothing for me to compare this new protocol to, but I was still aware that changes had been made.  I was so excited to see Makaha Sons live in person for the first time, if I had to endure a few extra steps to make it happen, so be it.

The venue for the concert was small, intimate, and BLUE.  The name says it all.  Isom and I shared a table with our friends Jennah, Janell, and Mike.  Sitting at a table for a concert was an all new experience.  I mostly find myself rocking out in giant stadiums, on a concrete warehouse floor, sprawling grass lawns, or even the occasional concert hall.  I felt pretty fancy sipping a cocktail out of a glass and eating an actual meal all while enjoying a concert.  It was the true definition of dinner and a show.  I guess this is how adults concert.


Not only was this an indoor at a table with cocktails and a meal concert, but we also received SWAG bags from Saks Fifth Avenue filled with beauty product samples.  That was really new.  Upon arriving at our designated table for five, we saw that it was decorated with candles, rose petals, and SWAG bags.  Post-Covid concerts are really stepping it up.  It was a total departure from floors sticky with old spilled beer or a bring my own blanket for the lawn ambiance (don't get me wrong, I love those settings too).  Last night was just an all new experience.  Right now, new is what's happening.
 

After placing cocktail and dinner orders, we settled in for an added treat of an opening act---Robi Kahakalau graced our ears with her enchanting voice and was accompanied by Kala'e Camarillo on acoustic guitar and vocals.  New and new.  They were the perfect opening act.  Their cute banter between songs put everyone at ease and in the mood for Makaha Sons.




After thirty to forty-five minutes, Robi and Kala'e wrapped up their set and it was time for the main event---Makaha Sons.  Without any pomp and circumstance, the three remaining members of Makaha Sons entered the stage and began jamming.  Their guitars, their harmonies, their love of Hawai'i came through with each note that passed their lips.  I was easily enchanted.  They sang songs I knew (White Sandy Beach), songs I love (Hawai'i 78), and songs I didn't know.  It was easy to love the new to me songs---their musical enthusiasm was infectious.  I felt transported to the mid 1990's when I first moved back to O'ahu to attend the University of Hawai'i.  Makaha Sons music (and later Israel Kamakawiwo'ole when he launched his solo endeavors) always has a special place in my heart.  It provided part of the soundtrack for my first years away from home.  It was the background music on beach days.  It was the music that united all genres of music lovers at parties.  It was the somber lullaby when 90's Alternative was just a little more than what your mood was calling for.  It's one thing to listen to your favorite artists on the radio, on a CD, your iPod, or streaming service---and a completely different thing to see the artist with your eyes, hear them in the same room as you and collect their energy.  The Church of Music.
  


This new concert and new venue were a great way to re-enter the concert scene.  Although things look different these days, nothing can take away the incredible feeling of watching live music.  New concert, but same old love.

The Details:

Who: Robi Kahakalau and Makaha Sons

What: Live music concert

Where: Blue Note Hawai'i at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort 

2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Hawai'i 

Phone: (808) 777-4890

On the Web: www.bluenotehawaii.com

makahasons.com

robikahakalau.com

When: Open daily from Noon until 10:00 p.m.

How: Order tickets for future shows/events online via their Events Calendar.

Why: Music is good for the soul.

Cost: Varies according to performers.

On Insta: @bluenotehawaii @the_makaha_sons @robikahakalaumusic

"On a white sandy beach, of Hawai'i
Sound of the ocean, soothes my restless soul
Sound of the ocean, rocks me all night long" ~Makaha Sons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...