52 New: #37 DIY Posh Picnic

 

I want to be a party planner when I grow up.  There's so much fun in the detail of it all.  From parting gifts, to preparing a menu, to color schemes, to guest lists, it's all enjoyable to think about.  A party is something to look forward to and I have missed such fuss over the past pandemic year.  I'm glad I got to use some of my party planning tricks and ideas for preparing a Posh Picnic---my thirty-seventh new thing on my list of fifty-two new things.  

This past year, I may have spent more time online than I normally would have.  I look up fun ways to decorate my house.  I look up famous people I love from favorite movies and T.V. shows.  I look for new books to read.  I look for new foods to try.  And I look at specialty niche things like how to DIY a Posh Picnic---one of my latest online obsessions.  Spending so much time watching others across America (with no training and limited budgets I might add) put together cute picnic-scapes, made me believe I could do it too.  Some scheming and organizing with my Posh Picnic co-conspirators took place before hand.  There was a lot to discuss behind the scenes.  After numerous texts, outfit planning, logistics, and making sure our kids were ok to leave behind, we successfully (and in less than thirty minutes) popped up a picnic on the beach with a dreamy relaxing vibe. It was such a well oiled machine between us, it had me considering turning this "new thing" into a side hustle business.  It was a blast from start to finish.    

Things to consider when putting together a Posh Picnic: decor, ambiance, vibe.  And I guess food.  It was honestly the last thing on my priority list (such a change of pace from my day to day life where food is priority number one).  First a theme was chosen: Golden Bohemian.  The colors would be whites, golds, browns, earthy tones.  A location needed to be decided---and this was very perplexing.  I wanted something picturesque but free of a ton of people.  I wanted something that would enable an easier set up.  I wanted something that would work with the theme.  Back and forth---the backyard, a park, a beach?  If a beach, which one?  The day of the Posh Picnic, it was rainy and dreary and I worried the whole thing would need to be postponed/canceled.  At the last minute, I made an executive decision to 'just do it' and chance it at Nimitz Beach, just down from White Plains in the Kapolei/Ewa area of O'ahu.  Theme, colors, and location.  Next, the fine details.  What types of things would make this Posh Picnic, well, posh.  I got to work scouring my house for all things Bohemian-esque.  I came up with the following items (keep in mind they all had to be transported to our Posh Picnic destination):

1. acoustic guitar

2. suitcase record player

3. succulent plant in a gold planter

4. white and gold teepee

5. macrame dreamcatcher

6. vintage radio

7. candles

8. white blankets and pillows

9. dishware

10. games (giant Jenga)

11. fake white roses

12. white washed wooden crate

13. shabby chic mirror

14. twinkle lights

15. a bird cage

16. large wicker basket for additional blankets/storage

There was more.  April had lights, a table, candles, the wine bucket and wines.  Jennah had a table, fuzzy lamp, furry plush fur rug, pillowcases, pampas grass, dessert.  I'm sure there was more that I have forgotten about.   

Jennah and I consulted April about menu items and she expertly came up with chicken and pesto pinwheels and White wine.  I added on with Champagne, sparkling water, and a DIY charcuterie board. Jennah came in clutch with an assortment of fresh fruit and French macarons from La Tour.  It was a trio of party planners working together on the look, the taste, the feel of our first ever Posh Picnic.  We gathered all of our supplies, prepared our food items, and drove together to our Nimitz Beach location. We lucked out with the most perfect company, weather (no rain, slight cool breeze), sunset on one side, calm ocean waves lapping on the coast beside us, rainbow in the distance, and Diamond Head views on the other side.  I truly felt like I was living someone else's life---someone posh, decadent, with no cares or worries at all.  Even though we set up the event, we were able to enjoy the event.  We had music, adult bubbly, and the wind in our hair.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a Friday evening.    

After a successful Posh Picnic, I definitely have my mind on other Luxe Picnic ideas.  The themes seem endless.  The set up between four people was quick and stress free.  The packing up was just as breezy.  I'm sure, after a few more rounds of picnic popping, we could have it down to an art form.  Not that anything is definitely happening.  This was just for fun, for something new, for me to get my party planning fix.  It worked on all accounts.  







If you are looking for a fun, fall DIY project, I highly recommend giving this a try.  It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you choose.  You can go all out or keep it more manageable.  The beauty of a DIY experience is that it becomes exactly what you need and want it to be.  This DIY experience was a collaborative effort---and that made it even more exciting.  Each of us brought something different to the picnic table.  


Gather your best gal pals, your favorite comfy throw and pillows, choose your favorite outdoor venue, and order out from your regular local restaurant...you have the makings for your very own Posh Picnic.  I'm so thrilled with how this mini event turned out.  Endless smiles and laughter prove it was a hit all around.  For my next foray into popup picnic life, I'm definitely thinking of trying a sunrise, coffee, and breakfast picnic---Scones at Sunrise...Donuts at Dawn...Wake up and Waffle...

Something good is bound to happen at a picnic.






The Details:

Who: Me, April, Jennah, and Sarah (or anyone who wants to Posh Picnic on the beach).

What: Posh Picnic...luxe food on the beach with wine and friends and lights and pillows and a ton of cozy decor.

When: We chose Sunset or Golden Hour...because pictures, duh.

Where: If you are lucky, a beach.  We chose Nimitz Beach near Kapolei on O'ahu.  There was plenty of free parking that made it easy for loading and unloading all of our Posh Picnic supplies.

Why: Trying something new and fun.  It's nice to throw a mini celebration for yourself and your friends.

How: Gather up your nicest blankets, pillows, REAL dishes (no plastic), flowers, candles...all. the. things.

Food: Charcuterie board, two types of pinwheel sandwich wraps, assorted fresh fruits, La Tour macarons in assorted flavors.

Beverage: Sparkling water, individual mini-bottles of Champagne, White Wine.

Time: Set up was about twenty to thirty minutes.  Picnic time was over an hour.  Clean up was another twenty minutes.  Including our drive time, the entire picnic experience was close to three to three and a half hours.  But who cares about time when you Posh Picnic with friends?

Inspiration: Instagram and TikTok hashtags #poshpicnic #luxepicnic #popuppicnic



behind the scenes...


                            "Nothing's better than a picnic." ~Zooey Deschanel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...