52 New: #43 Hauntingly Familiar Tea



Happy Halloween!  I love Halloween!  Really, I love any reason, excuse, to play dress up, to get into character...I think I wanted to be an actor in a previous life.  Costumes and wigs and putting together an ensemble, all sound like a really good time to me.  This year, I found myself lucky enough to have reason to get dolled, bloodied, and scary for several different types of festive events.  The first creepy event of the season was enjoying a few ghoulish spirits at a pop up Halloween Bar in Honolulu called Nightmare Honolulu.  Dressing up as Wednesday Addams from the old Addams Family T.V. show and movies was the kick off to some hauntingly familiar fun.  


Next on the list of witchy wonders was hitting up all of the Pumpkin Patches I could think of with the kids.  We checked out a new one this year at Mari's Gardens in Mililani.  Two more---Aloun Farms in Waipahu and the constant favorite Waimanalo Country Farms in Waimanalo.  We definitely got our fair share of farms, patches, dust, and pumpkins in. 


The kids had their fun, so the next Halloween adventure was for the adults, a mix of something new and something...hauntingly familiar.  The Rocky Horror Picture Show interactive experience was something I hadn't participated in since high school.  Whenever I had gone to one of the midnight showings in Atlanta, I never dressed up, this year however, I did.  For my first Rocky Horror experience in Hawai'i, I dressed as Magenta from The Rocky Horror Picture Show movie.  I was lucky enough to go to a theater in town that was privately rented for the occasion and served as a fundraiser for the Hawai'i Health and Harm Reduction Center (HHHRC).  Dressing up for a cause made the new-ish experience that much better. 

Creepy Cocktails check.  Pumpkin Patches check.  Macabre Movie check.  Evil Exercise was next.  The next Halloween event, also a new thing for the list, Yoga-ween!  Party Girl was what I came up with for Freaky Friday Flow that ended with some Halloween treats and a signature cocktail, the Mali-BOO.  Halloween and Yoga stretched the Halloween vibe and got my mind ready for the rest of the events in store for Halloween Weekend.


The next level of extra-ness is eating all the Halloween foods!  This meant I had to check out the decorate it yourself Spooktacular Halloween Pancakes served at Basalt in Waikiki.  They were a scream. Wink. 


And for the finale of my month of hauntingly familiar Halloween adventures, Haunting High Tea at Tea at 1024.  I started the month with some stiff drinks (pun intended) and ended it with my forty-third "new thing".  I have been to tea at Tea at 1024 years and years ago but this year was the first time I experienced their Haunting Tea (and dressed in costume). It was the perfect way to wrap up October.  

High Tea must include The Queen, sugar cubes, fancy tea cups, and a hat.  The Haunting High Tea included a cardboard Queen, sugar cubes, Cranberry-orange herbal tea, a huge collection of fancy tea cups to choose from, and...my blonde wig instead of a hat.  Since dressing up was suggested for participating in the Haunting High Tea, of course I had to!  An additional "new" thing for this adventure was my costume.  I have never dressed up as Casey Becker (a.k.a Drew Barrymore) from the movie Scream.  Spoiler alert, she dies.  I found a blunt bang, short blonde bob wig, a cream sweater that I added red paint to, painted my nails red, wore my most comfy jeans, and included an oversized plastic kitchen knife (also painted the tip red) to make an easy, comfortable, and NEW Halloween look for myself to wear to Haunting High Tea.  It was a scream.  Double wink.




The details for the late morning Haunting Tea were incredible.  Everywhere I looked, there was something different catching my eye.  From creepy dolls to skulls to corpse bride mannequins.  The desserts, the color of the tea, the entrance to the tea shop----all coordinated with a creeptacular Halloween vibe.  

I was impressed with the prompt and doting service provided by the team from Tea at 1024.  No cup was left unfilled and no plate left uncleared.  All of my Haunting High Tea needs were met with enthusiasm.  The skeleton crew knew just what we needed and when and even took our pictures because...it all needs to be documented on the 'Gram!  


If you are looking for something new or just hauntingly familiar, I would definitely recommend stopping in for some tea, finger sandwiches, a visit with The Queen.  It is a fun way to spend an hour or two.  It is great for tea lovers of all ages---kids and kids at heart.  I'm hoping that there will be other Holiday Tea events in the future.  Christmas High Tea, Sweethearts High Tea, Irish High Tea...all sound exciting to me.  










The Details:

Who: Myself and my two friends Janell and Jennah.  Or anyone who (has a negative Covid-19 test or is Vaccinated) wants to have High Tea or visit Chinatown or sip and talk story with The Queen.

What: A quaint hidden gem in downtown.  It is a place to catch up with your friends, enjoy some calm and quiet, and receive a wonderful tea service with a smile.  The High Tea I enjoyed was a special occasion Haunting High Tea for Halloween.  

When: Friday 11:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Where: 1024 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, Hawai'i 96817 

Tucked away off the main streets of downtown Honolulu among the old brick buildings that give this area of town a unique old world charm.

Why: Because sipping tea with your friends/family is good for the soul.

Parking: Street parking is available but we chose to utilize the China Town Municipal Parking Garage directly across the street from Tea at 1024.  We were parked for close to two hours and paid two dollars for parking (it's the best deal for parking).  

Cost: $28 per person.  Reservations can be made online on their website.  There are different packages for purchase available.  

On the Web: www.teaat1024.net

On Insta: @tea_at_1024

Would I do it again: Yes!  In a heartbeat.  The morning of tea and treats was so much fun.  The atmosphere is perfect.  The service was perfect.  The food was perfect.  And now of course I would love to recreate it in my backyard with a DIY version of High Tea...stay tuned.  




"Well, it was hauntingly familiar

Well, I see you doing what I try to do for me

With the words from a poet and a voice from a choir 

And a melody, and nothing else mattered"

Stevie Nicks, Edge of Seventeen




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...