52 New: #44 Secret Sunset Spot








Hello November!  I have decided that November will be my month of hiking---new trails, new spots for sunset, new spots for sunrise, sunset and sunrise in the same day...all the ways to make these tried and true O'ahu trails new again.  I kick started my thirty hikes in thirty days with another new spot for sunset.  


Not only was this spot new, it was also "secret".  I will just say that if you know, you know.  Some may be able to determine the "secret" spot from my photos.  This is a trail that I have done a couple of times before, but never for sunset, making this Secret Sunset Spot my forty-fourth "new thing" and hike number four of thirty for the Hike November additional challenge I've created for myself.  



It's always exciting to go hiking, but even more exciting in an "off limits" location and for the special specific occasion of watching the sunset.  I love a good sunset.  O'ahu sunsets are generally my favorite (and the kind I most often get lucky enough to witness).  I like sunset hikes to be on the shorter side.  I don't want to worry if I will make it to the viewing spot in time.  It is a timing dance that has worked in my favor nearly every time I attempt it.  This secret sunset was no exception.  The sunset hiking stars aligned and put on a wonderful show.  The colors, the clouds, the sky, the mountains---all looking their best.  They brought their A game.  The sun gods must have known---if I was risking life and limb to be on this unsanctioned trail, the sunset show better be worth it.  


My partner in crime (literally...remember this is an off limits trail) was April.  We parked and stealthy made our way to the trail that would wander steadily uphill until we veered off to make our way to our secret sunset spot.  I was nervous as we hiked up, hoping not to get busted for trying to enjoy nature's beauty.  The further up the hill we hiked, the more people we saw.  What is going on?  Apparently, we weren't the only "will hike for potential trespassing ticket" folks out there.  When I say we saw other rogue hikers, I mean we saw a huge cross section of demographics---everyone from little kids, the family dog, college students, military personnel, tourists, other middle aged moms...I was beginning to think this trail was no longer an off limits situation.  Phew.  My anxiety level went down and my sunset excited anticipation increased.   


If you find yourself on O'ahu and looking to hike an easy to moderate trail to view the sunset, I would recommend this trail---I just won't tell you the name.  I will tell you to bring a fun bubbly beverage to cheers with your hiking companion(s).  A Guava Corona Refresca was an additional highlight to the end of trail, beginning of sunset festivities.  If you are unable to make it to this particular trail, then hopefully you can still enjoy an O'ahu sunset, an O'ahu hike, and a Refresca---a trio of perfection regardless of being on an off limits trail or not.     




The Details:

Sadly, not too many details on this one.  I would like to keep this secret sunset spot undercover for a little while longer...although judging from the amount of people there this past week, I guess it's not as secret as I previously thought.  

What I can say:

This trail is on O'ahu.

This trail provides ample seating for viewing the sunset.  

This trail provides a good, quick cardio workout.

This trail is free.

This trail is not a state sanctioned trail.

This trail is at your own risk.

This trail is not technically difficult.

This trail is a new favorite spot for sunset...if you are willing to possibly risk trespassing.  




"A large drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone, and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone..." ~John Steinbeck



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...