52 New: #45 Schofield Waikane Trail



We are halfway through the month of November, with only six more weeks left of 2021.  This year has both flown by and dragged on in a weird time lapse dream.  I have so far been successful at getting a hike in every day this month.  I am so grateful.  During the past fifteen days, I have enjoyed old trails, trails at sunrise, new trails for watching the sunset, and general new to me trails.  In fact, my forty-fifth new thing is hiking a new to me trail, Schofield-Waikane Trail.


There are trails you hear about and trails you know exist, but for whatever reason, you just don't get around to hiking them, even when they are seemingly in your backyard.  As a resident of Mililani, Wahiawa is one of the neighboring towns, only about a ten minute drive (depending on traffic) away.  The Schofield-Waikane Trail begins in Wahiawa, so it is somewhat shocking that I haven't hiked a trail so close to home.   

Luckily, Sarah was up for an adventure with me this past week.  She picked me up (with her dog Nala in tow) and we headed to the trail.  Sarah had explored some on this trail before, so I trusted her (and Nala) to be my guides.  Once we parked and got our hiking shoes on, we headed towards the opening in the trees at the base of two large water towers.  The first part of the trail is whimsical with trees that are permanently bent from constant breaths of wind.  Just past the fairy like forest there is a gravel road running straight through an Army training area.  We hiked along the gravel road for quite sometime, catching glimpses of men in camouflage here and there.



When we finally reached the trail head (as noted by the brown and yellow state trail sign), we were hiking a gradual hill towards the Ko'olau Mountains.  Sights and sounds along the way included tall grass, chirping birds, more geared up Army guys, walls of ferns, peek-a-boo sightings of the Waianae Mountain Range, and sporadic mud puddles.  
 


It wasn't until we reached one particular lookout that we really had too much of a view.  It was an extra gorgeous day out and the company and the trail were enjoyable, making the hike one I'd like to add into my hiking rotation.  



Besides the Army guys, we didn't see a single person on the trail.  It was refreshing.  It was a morning well spent.  Just three gals enjoying the fresh air, blue skies, greenery, and companionship. I would definitely recommend this trail for anyone looking to get some easy to moderate miles in.  Up to the point that we hiked this trail, there was nothing sketchy or technically difficult to worry about.  I definitely got my cardio workout in and sweat out any and all toxins.  It was one of those great days on the trail.
 


And there were photo opportunity spots as well.  You know the Instagrammer in me has to get in some epic hiking shots!  I've heard the views continue to get better and better the further along this trail you go.  If that is the case, I can't even imagine what I have in store for future exploring---what I saw on my first run on this trail, was beautiful.  



If you find yourself in Wahiawa, or Wahiawa adjacent, and looking for a place to stretch those legs and breathe in that glorious Hawai'i air, Schofield-Waikane is just the place for it.  During this month of gratitude, I feel extra thankful for days like this one, where I can take in all that nature and O'ahu have to offer---truly a gift.  



The Details:

Who: Myself , Sarah, and her dog Nala.

What: Schofield-Waikane Trail 

When: Weekday Morning.

Where: The back of a neighborhood in Wahiawa, O'ahu at the end of California Avenue.  It is part of the Poamoho Forest Reserve.

Why: I'm trying to hike everyday during the month of November and I had never hiked on this trail before.

Cost: Free!

Parking: Neighborhood street parking.

Terrain: Forest, gravel road through military training area, ridge, ferns, tall grass, some trees.

Distance: This trail is reported to be 11.7 miles out and back.  It is a 2.5 mile hike along a gravel road to the trailhead.

Difficulty Rating: Hard (according to AllTrails App).

Elevation Gain: 2,503 feet

What to Bring: Water, sunscreen, hat, hiking shoes, your dog, phone or camera, stamina.

Would I do it again: Yes!  I didn't finish the entire trail, so of course I need to return and hopefully hike the complete the trail.  



"And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul." ~John Muir



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...