52 New: #47 30 Hikes in 30 Days

"It was all unknown to me then, as I sat on that white bench on the day I finished my hike.  Everything except the fact that I didn't have to know.  That it was enough to trust that what I'd done was true." ~Cheryl Strayed, Wild



I have definitely never done a hike a day for thirty days.  My forty-seventh "new thing" was completely all new!  I had no idea that one of my fifty-two new things would be creating the goal of hiking thirty different trails in thirty days.  It was never an item on my list of potential "new things".  Of course, I love hiking and I love challenges, but hiking every single day during the month of November?  I started this goal with first attempting a seven day challenge.  I thought, hey, it might be nice to hike for an entire week straight.  And then it became, why not go for two straight weeks.  And then---yep, may as well go for three and at this rate it might as well be for a month straight.  So that's how it started...and here is how it's going...



It may seem like a silly little goal to hike thirty different trails in thirty days.  For me, it was a big deal.  It meant getting myself organized.  It meant being more mindful of my hydration and nutrition.  It meant focusing on getting enough sleep.  It meant scheduling with hiking friends and coordinating the Homeschool schedule for Zach.  It meant doing a LOT of laundry---muddy, sweaty hiking clothes Every. Single. Day!  It meant hiking on days that I didn't want to.  It meant hiking on days that I had a ton of other obligations to fulfill.  It meant driving all over this island.  It meant being committed.  



Each trail brought a new feeling of accomplishment.  Each trail made me feel stronger.  Each trail reminded me why getting outside every day is important not only for your body, but for your mind too.  Each trail had something unique to offer---whether it was the people encountered along the way, new stunning sunset views, new trails discovered, learning about plants, observing wildlife---there were so many unexpected and expected benefits to this challenge.



I think I not only reinvigorated myself for this last part of the year, but I noticed that both of my boys have found their way back to hiking again.  Gabe recently went on a seven plus mile barefoot adventure to one of the peaks on the Ko'olau Summit Trail where he took some wonderful scenic photos with his new camera.  Zach has been writing about our trail adventures in his Homeschool Journal and is a much more willing participant these days when I tell him to grab his hiking shoes.  He has special request hikes and trails that he loves.    
 



In the course of the past month, I managed to hike over eighty miles.  Would I have liked to have logged more miles?  Sure.  But for a first attempt, for something "new", this was a wonderful start.  I somehow managed to remain free of injury.  I managed to see rainbows, butterflies, sunrays at dawn, fire in the sky at dusk, improve my pace, and increase my appetite for adventure.  



Outside on the trails for the win.  The trails called and I answered.  I hiked along the ocean, up mountains, on bike paths, to waterfalls, through mud, in the rain, with rainbows, amongst mosquitos, with a dog, with kids, with my husband, with my family, with my best friend, with Christmas Elves, through a marsh, over bridges, by graffiti, wearing a Santa Hat, wearing Reindeer Antlers, without water, in extreme humidity, on cloudy days, on sunny days, that time of the month days.  Thirty days of hiking and I survived.  I lived to tell my tale.  And the tale is this: make goals.  Write them down.  Hold yourself accountable to those goals.  Crush those goals.  Then your next goal will be even better.  Goals are like hiking along the trail.  One foot in front of the other will get you there.  
  


I don't know what the month of December has in store for me---hiking, goals, or otherwise, but I'll always have November!  I would definitely attempt this "new thing" again.  It was challenging but rewarding.  I like a challenge that is both physical and mental.  After completing my thirty hikes in thirty days, it really got me thinking about a new challenge for 2022.  Things can always change, but I'm looking forward to tackling a big new hike each month in the new year.  Twelve big hikes in twelve months.  Each new hike will need to be at least five miles...I'm making my list and checking it twice, I know which trails are naughty and nice.  I know I have some hiking Elves who will be in for this next challenge.  While this next challenge is a less is more situation, it will still require logistics, preparation, stamina, commitment, and everyone's favorite---blogging.  I hope you will all stay tuned.





The Participants:

Over the course of the past month of hiking, several folks came along for the ride.  Thank you to the following who helped keep me on track with my goal and encouraged me to keep going!  I am so lucky to have hiking buddies from all walks of life.

My Shoes: I never could have hiked day after day after day without you---Merrells!

Zach: helped me see things along the trail from the point of view of a child, a new learner, a new hiker.

Gabe: his agility helped make my pace a little better.  His new camera was a welcome addition for all the pictures that had to be taken!

Isom: he helped make scheduling all these different hikes possible.  He was also a willing participant on several family hikes.

Sarah: took me to two trails I had never hiked before.  One new to me trail was the longest of the hikes I completed this month.  The other new to me trail was one we just made on our own.  This was one of the coolest explorations of the hikes this month.

Julie: agreeing to explore new to her trails and taking us to new post hike lunch spots!

Chloe: best hiking buddy for Zach when it needed to be a kid friendly hiking adventure.

April: took me to a new to me hike for sunset and sunrise, guided me up a new way on an old trail, and coordinated the Christmas Tree Hike expedition. She is also the queen of remembering to pack a summit drink!

Jennah: eager participant in exploring two new trails for sunrise and sunset.  She also helps me get those Yoga on the Trail picture perfect poses.

Christmas Tree Elves: no one else could make taking a Christmas Tree, ornaments, and Holiday Cheer into the forest and hiking up a mountain more fun.

Cheerleaders: I felt the support and positive energy from my cheer squad on the sidelines.  Those texts of encouragement, those thumbs up and positive comments on my never-ending Instagram posts---I appreciate it all!  Thanks for cheering me on! 



The Mileage:

Total: 80.5 miles

Shortest Hike: 1 mile

Longest Hike: 4.8 miles



The Hikes:

1. Crouching Lion up from the Pillbox (new to me route)

2. Aiea Loop (part of Homeschool Tuesday Tours) 

3. Mauna Lahilahi (conquered my fear since a fall there)

4. Kamehame Ridge (new spot for sunset)

5. Hanauma Bay Ridge (new hike for Julie)

6. Pu'u Pia

7. Ulupa'u Crater (new to me trail, new spot for sunrise, first of two hikes in one day) and Koko Crater Arch (new spot for sunset, second hike of the day)

8. Upper Waimano (discovered a new to me side trail)

9. Kuliouou Valley (Homeschool Tuesday Tour)

10. Schofield-Waikane (new to me trail)

11. Kalaheo Hillside (ran some of this)

12. Pearl Harbor Bike Path (hiked faster than some of the bike riders)

13. Somewhere in the forest of  Nu'uanu, make your own trail (new)

14. Wa'ahila Ridge (new spot for sunset and saw rainbows)

15. Manoa Falls (sadly no Jason Momoa spotting)

16. Kapapapuhi Point (explored a new offshoot of this path and Homeschool Tuesday Tour)

17. Kawainui Marsh (attacked by gnats)

18. Ohana Bike Trail (homemade side of the road Banana Bread available for sale)

19. The Pillbox at Turtle Bay/The Lost Loop (managed to climb on top and get down from the pillbox all by myself...this is a new accomplishment) 

20. Aloha Aina Path (new perspective of O'ahu from this trail)

21. Lai'e Point (new spot for sunrise)/Crouching Lion to put up a Christmas Tree

22. Mililani Ravine (rainbows followed us)

23. Pua'ena Point (hammock spot and Homeschool Tuesday Tour)

24. Pele's Chair to Makapu'u Lighthouse (new spot for sunset)

25. Thanksgiving Day: Pali Puka (new spot for sunrise)

26. Old Pali Highway (from the hairpin turn to the lookout)

27. Pu'u Hapapa (new section past Kolekole Lookout completed)

28. Pu'u Ma'eli'eli 

29. Kamananui Valley 

30. Ma'akua/Papali Trail (the grand finale and Homeschool Tuesday Tour)

31. Luakaha Falls (first hike of December...pushing the streak past November)



            "It always seems impossible until it's done." ~Nelson Mandela


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pali Notches: Cloudy, Muddy, Windy, and Scary

Mililani Exploration: Kipapa Stream Trail

Shameless Plug...